TechSpot

Computer Running Slow After Installing Norton Antivirus 2006...Suggestions?

By galjm
Jan 14, 2006
  1. Hello there,
    I just recently installed Norton Antivirus 2006 (which seems to be a mistake after reading some stickies in this forum). I thought I was doing good by making sure my computer was protected. Since doing so, my computer is running slow as molasses and I was wondering if my recent NAV installation is the culpret. Browsing on the internet takes forever to move from pages/sites/ect and download information. Is there any way to correct this probem? I have Windows XP and use Firefox and Internet Explorer as my web browsers. I also have Spybot and Adaware that I run regularly. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who can offer time to respond to my post....have a great day! :wave:

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

No wonder your computer is running slow, when you`re using that crap Symantec/Norton bloatware.

Uninstall it, and use the free AVG antivirus programme, and the free Zonealarm firewall.

That should get your computer back up to speed.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. galjm

galjm TS Rookie Topic Starter

LOL! Yeah yeah, I know now. I always thought Norton was supposed to one of the best for virus protections. Even if it were, I don't won't to compromise the performance of my computer. I'm on my way to check out those 2 programs you mentioned. And you know what really bites, is that I just dropped $45 bucks down the drain :( Oh well, you live and learn I guess. Thanks so much Howard for your quick response :)

4. howard_hopkinso

I`m sorry that you`ve just wasted $45.

Your computer will be much better off without Norton, even if your pocket isn`t.

Regards Howard :)

5. galjm

Thanks again for the support Howard, I really appreciate it :grinthumb

6. kaymastah

kaymastah TS Rookie Posts: 63

khmm... can I say somethng?

Switch to Linux and you can pretty much forget about viruses :p As to Norton... I'm afraid they lost it some time ago, now they're like winblows - bloated, slow and greedy.

7. galjm

What's Linux?

8. howard_hopkinso

Look HERE for info.

Regards Howard :)

9. computer help

computer help TS Rookie Posts: 86

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.