Computer running slow, freezing, some games not coming up at all

FallGurl7761

Hi, I posted a thread in "viruses/malwar". After running a check on the computer, they saw nothing malicious, suggested it is a hardware problem and suggested I post something here.
When I restarted my computer the other day, Windows loaded normally, boot time was 45 seconds. However when I clicked on the icon for Google Chrome, nothing happened. I tried others and the same thing. I was sitting there thinking I may have picked up a virus and Google Chrome opened. I discovered that it just took awhile for the programs to open, so I updated and ran SE and MWB, then did a disc cleanup. The computer was fine. The next evening I turned the computer on and the same thing happened. So I repeated the process. Since then the programs are sluggish to open and some of the games I play won't open at all. I have Windows 7 and have only had the computer since Sept/Oct of 2011. I am not great with computers but have cleaned a computer in the past through TechSpot, so I can follow instructions. Any ideas??

well the first step is making sure you dont have a ton of programs running in the system tray (next to the clock.).
If you could click the windows button, right click computer, click properties, and tell us what is written down in system, it would give us a better idea of the caliber of PC we are talking about here.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.
Processor, Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-2310M CPU @2.10GHz 210GHz
Installed Memory, 4.00 GB
System type, 64-bit operating system

The icons in the tray are the volume control, battery, the flag for solving pc issues, and in the drop down menu located there are, pointing device, Energy management, Lenovo voice recognition, Security Essentials, update icon, internet access and Intel(R) HD Graphics. This is what is by the clock.

Is that enough info?

Oh, and I've had an "important" Windows Update that I have not been able to download for sometime now. I don't know how important it is, but I get a message telling me it failed when I try to download it. Apparently this has been a problem for other people too. I tried doing what was suggested by the site, but it didn't help.

that all appears decent enough. The programs in the tray are not enough to cause a computer to become so sluggish. the specs are good enough. im not the most experienced user here, but prehaps you should try a live CD of another OS to see if it is as sluggish. If a live CD was faster, it would mean a windows OS problem. if it was still sluggish, it would mean a hardware problem.
I would refrain from doing anything until someone else helps you though, as im not the most experienced user here.

Back