Computer(s) won't recognize hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm trying to fix my brothers computer and for some reason the computer will not recognize any of the 3 hard drives it has. Also, when any of the three hard drives are plugged in, the computer will not go past the post screen. I've rotated the hard drives as well as switch the jumpers around from slave to master etc. Nada..and its not the motherboard or cpu. the only way i can get past the post screen and into the bios is to remove all 3 the hard drives. i placed a hard drive from my own pc into my bro's computer and it recognizes it. but when i place any of the 3 hard drives from my bro's pc into my own pc, my pc will not boot up, it freezes at the post screen. I tried moving the jumpers around for this as well but nothing worked. Any thoughts on whether the hard drives are toast or not? or if there's any way to retrieve the data from them?

I changed out the IDE cables, and the hard drive that i plugged in from my own computer was recognized and i could hear it booting up.

So now you can reinstall the 3 hard drives but you will have to know which one is the C or boot drive and set it accordingly, unless you are going to reinstall Windows fresh...

and thanks for not answering these questions :rolleyes:

"What happened to cause this trouble? Power supply problems, motherboard?"...

Maybe there not formatted??? just a guess? hence why they are not being picked up.

Your old drive worked because it had previously been setup.

You have to setup, format, and install several different hard drives before they will work.... SATA drives are particularly tough... but the help you need is on the website of the manufacturer... unless it is a Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back