TechSpot

Computer says connected but no internet

By 12lochtee
Oct 16, 2008
  1. here is my problem... When i connect my computer to my router (wired) the connection symbol says that im connected at 100mbs but when i open IE i get nothing, cant even connect to router using 192.168.1.1. I can then plug in a usb wifi adaptor to that computer and connect wirelessly to to the internet just fine, If i connect my laptop to the ethernet cable that doesnt work on my computer it works fime, so it is not the cable, some setting in the computer.

- The computer had been using the wireless connection for quit some time and im just now changing ... is there a setting that would have contributed to the problem..

- also aroud the time that it stoped i installed the link-layer protocal

OS on computer- win xp
    OS on Laptop- Vista

2. 12lochtee

12lochtee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Also i am no trecieving any packets just sending(few)

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

When i first read that statement I related it to something i recently discovered when fixing same problem description for a friend. Click Tools and make sure Work Offline is not checked!
    Then you mentioned the above so not so sure of your case but figured is worth mentioning and a good thing to know!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.