Computer says no audio device - but I have one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritton

i am unalbe to get sound
i know it's not that i have got anyting muted or volume right down
i know the speakers work
i know i'm not putting it in the wrong jack (i even went as far as puting a speaking in all 3 jacks to make sure)

when i went to sound manager it said there was no aduio device
the are no driver issues being flagged in the device manager
even the ports on my optical drive won;t work (and i do have the sound cable in for that)
i am unabe to test the ports on the front of my case as can;t plug them in (due to the fact the cables no long enought)

and anyone help

Just one thought - If you have onboard sound and are attempting to use a sound card, do you have the correct one selected in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - "Audio" tab - Sound Playback/default device selection?

Also, not to be glum, but I have had 1 sound card and one onboard-audio sound card die in terms of outputting audio but they read fine in Device Manager, showed up in all the right places, passed diagnostics, etc., which leads me to believe that it was probably the final analog amp that sent this signal out through the mini-jack that died, not some digital part of the card that could be subjected to diagnostics by the software.

I now keep a spare USB-based sound card that I know is good to test this sort of thing. You may have to install a second set of drivers, but it gives you a process of elimination path in addition to your cable, speakers, etc. Just a thought.

well i don't have a sound card, speakers are pluged into the motherboard it' self

my motherbaord model is N2PAP-Ultra-if that helps

You may want to invest in a cheapo sound card, either USB or PCI. At least it will let you zoom in on the problem. I've had my MB integrated sound die on me. Only other thing I could think of would be to make sure onboard devices are enabled at the BIOS level, but that probably is the case if they are showing up in the device manager.

Yes, on-board sound needs drivers. These can be found on your motherboard manufacturers support site. Download the sound drivers for your operating system and install them. If your sound still doesn't work, buy a PCI sound card and install it. Don't forget to disable the on-board sound in the bios. First, while you are at it, make sure the on-board sound is enabled in the bios...

I don't know Ryan. It might show up as yellow-flagged or red-x'd but it may not. If your system was bought from, say, Dell or HP, those drivers might be all inclusive on a "system restore" disk. I build all my own CPU's, so for me, it's install the OS then install the motherboard-based hardware drivers and chipset info drivers that come on the motherboard install CD. That being said, I can't guarantee that Windows would not auto-update a driver if you chose to allow it to under Windows Update. I've installed drivers that way as well.

My bottom-line thought is that if your onboard sound is enabled in BIOS, and does not show up a being flagged with a problem in the Device Manager, I think you may be looking at a hardware issue and you may need to try another sound card to eliminate another potential fault in the signal path. I'd sure try a different sound cord between the sound output jack and my known-to-be-good speakers before tried another card. If you know your speakers are good (maybe play something through them from an Ipod or something) and you know the cable is good, then it only leaves the sound generating hardware. If the drivers show good to the hardware, and it is enabled in BIOS, then I would try a different sound card. I just saw some cheapie PCI-based ones for $20 on Newegg.com.

I actually just went through the opposite with my TV's sound input failing. I did exactly what I am recommending to you. Made sure my sound hardware was enabled. Checked Device Manager, swapped out the output cable, and swapped in a spare set of PC speakers instead of my TV's speaker input. Lo and behold, I have great sound through those spare speakers, so I know the final link in the chain is broken - my TV's sound input that matches that video input, since the TV speakers work fine with all other inputs. Took me all of 5 minutes, and I know what needs to be done.

well i just downloaded the sound driver
it extrated the files and then when i went to use the wizard i could use it

You may have to manually update the drivers from the device manager and point it to the driver location on your installer CD. Not sure why it would not wizard it through for you.

how do i update it in the device manager if i don't no what one to update there are no errors for sound etc

It should say under "Sound, Video & Game Controllers". Expand it and your should see something naming the hardware. For instance, mine says, "SoundMAX Digital Integrated HD Audio". That's my hardware. There will also be some game controllers, audio codecs, video codecs, legacy audio, legacy video, etc., but focus on your hardware device. That's the hardware driver you want to make sure is installed and running correctly.

well i'm running windows update at the monment so i don't want to start runnng something else as well but i'll have a look when thats done

ok here's what my device manager says i have
aduio codecs
legacy aduio drivers
legacy vedio capture devices
media control devices
standard game ports
vedio codecs

i also have 3 unknone devices with drives issues-i have tried mannuly updateing them and no joy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back