Computer shows no source of power

deadawake

yesterday the power at my home shut off for about ten min while i was at work when i got home i tried to start my system and nothing happened no light no fans nor did my HD try to spin up the computer was turned off before i went to work and i had it connected to a surge protector .in the proses of troubleshooting i switched out the stock PSU with my corsair 450w just to see if my PSU was bad but still got no power so i know my psu is good still(i hope) the bad computer is brand new i had just bought a barebones kit from newegg its ruffly 4 months old

i3 core possessor
MSI H55M-E23 mobo
caviar black hard drive
seasonic 350w PSU

any one know what may be wrong and what i need to do to get my computer working again

Uninstall everything from your motherboard except the cpu, one stick of RAM, and the power plug to the motherboard. Does it boot-up?

Probably the motherboard, given the above.

However, beg borrow or steal (in the nicest sense!) another system to confirm your PSU's are working first - Your PSU and motherboard could well be dead, and you won't know whether both are good until you see them running another system.

used both once again just to be double sure still no response
On CSI, they say, "Follow the evidence." You are doing the exact opposite. Trying things only on speculation.

Two choices exist. Keep replacing or reinstalling good parts until something works. Or provide simple numbers from six wires so that the next post can define what is wrong long before you disconnect or replace anything.

Latter solution required a tool so 'complex' as to be sold even in Kmart. Also sells for $18 in Wal-Mart. Or in Maplin for £7. A multimeter provides 3 digit numbers that result in immediate answers. Answers without any speculation. Answers that are definitive. Otherwise just keep trying things only on wild speculation.

Is the power cord defective? One minute of labor with the meter means everything - even that question - is answered.

I am also thinking motherboard especially in light of the fact that two psu's were utilized and nothing happens especially by the fact that deadawake knows the Corsair works. And by the fact that all other hardware is uninstalled then the culprit is a) two bad psu's, b) a fried motherboard, c) a fried cpu, or the RAM was fried or a combination thereof

However, like westom I am a big fan of the digital multimeter.

Latter solution required a tool so 'complex' as to be sold even in Kmart. Also sells for $18 in Wal-Mart. Or in Maplin for £7. A multimeter provides 3 digit numbers that result in immediate answers. Answers without any speculation. Answers that are definitive. Otherwise just keep trying things only on wild speculation.

Not everybody is frankly comfortable using a multimeter for obvious reasons when messing with electricity - I agree it seems quick, effective and logical means of investigation, but I have to say that in my experiences most people find it easier to unplug connectors, re-connect them and then test it on another computer.

Not everybody is frankly comfortable using a multimeter for obvious reasons when messing with electricity - ... but I have to say that in my experiences most people find it easier to unplug connectors, re-connect them and then test it on another computer.
Many fear when they do not know how electricity works. Those who would rather learn buy or borrow what is obviously the safest, quickest, least expensive, and easiest solution.

If one cannot use a multimeter, then one has no business opening a computer. Or operating an Ipad or mobile phone. Both are far more complicated and dangerous than a meter. Not an exaggeration. According to your reasoning, touching any automobile battery must also be deadly. Car voltages are higher - therefore are dangerous?

Give the meter to a 13 year old who can use it even in science class. Multimeter is that ridiculously easy and safe - for how many reasons? Unfortunately many adults would rather fear then learn.

A defective power supply can still boot a computer. A good power supply can sometimes fail in an otherwise perfectly good computer. A few of so many examples of why swapping parts creates confusion. And often means two or five times more labor and time. Disconnect nothing. Spend a full minute with the meter. Post numbers. Only then can the most informed reply with an answer that has no doubts.

Only way to elicit replies from the best informed means numbers. A meter is by far the easiest, quickest, and least expensive way to get useful numbers. And results in knowledge about how a computer really works.

Anyone who fears a meter has no business opening the cover on any computer. Or using a mobile phone. Or opening the hood on any car where voltages are higher and more dangerous.

I am also thinking motherboard especially in light of the fact that two psu's were utilized and nothing happens especially by the fact that deadawake knows the Corsair works.
A perfectly good supply can appear defective in an otherwise good computer. Disconnecting also increases the odds of creating more failures. More reason why better techs avoid shotgunning. Best diagnostic procedure is to collect facts before disconnecting or swapping anything.

A useful answer would say what is wrong without speculation. Meter means an answer without all that speculation. Your answer is 'might be' due to facts from swapping parts.

A perfectly good part can act defective in any otherwise good system. A defective part can appear to work normally in another system.

If one cannot use a multimeter, then one has no business opening a computer. Or operating an Ipad or mobile phone. Both are far more complicated and dangerous than a meter. Not an exaggeration. According to your reasoning, touching any automobile battery must also be deadly. Car voltages are higher - therefore are dangerous?

That is absolute rubbish - Following the advice of someone or instructions, or a guide and replacing a slot in part or component on a computer is completely safe and requires absolutely no fundamental understanding of how its electrics work.

You clearly also have no understanding of how voltages work in a car either. The most your going to get from a car battery is a burn if you arc it. It is very unlikely to hurt, or kill you. Only the high voltage xenon headlamp system, or direct spark ignition systems are likely to pose a risk to health, but the chances of that are slim as they're designed in such a way as to protect the public from shocks by cutting voltage long before exposed parts can be touched by the skin.

Give the meter to a 13 year old who can use it even in science class. Multimeter is that ridiculously easy and safe - for how many reasons? Unfortunately many adults would rather fear then learn.

Maybe, but that is the way of the world, most would feel embarrassed to ask, and lets face it, if they knew, they'd have already done it and wouldn't be asking.

A defective power supply can still boot a computer. A good power supply can sometimes fail in an otherwise perfectly good computer. A few of so many examples of why swapping parts creates confusion. And often means two or five times more labor and time. Disconnect nothing. Spend a full minute with the meter. Post numbers. Only then can the most informed reply with an answer that has no doubts.

True, but you're asking too much - people are here asking for help and advice because they're not capable of, or concerned about doing that - If you can't grasp that, then you clearly struggle with understanding the reason for this forum in the first place.

By and large, most of those passing through here asking for advice have a very limited skill set, and are here asking for help because they have no way of working out what is wrong. If they have the mind set to check voltages and then report here they'd have their answer, in which case we probably wouldn't hear from them.

Seriously, do a search and you'll realise what I mean very quickly.

Only way to elicit replies from the best informed means numbers. A meter is by far the easiest, quickest, and least expensive way to get useful numbers. And results in knowledge about how a computer really works.

Anyone who fears a meter has no business opening the cover on any computer. Or using a mobile phone. Or opening the hood on any car where voltages are higher and more dangerous.

Those figures could also be misleading. Not having the voltages doesn't mean a diagnosis cannot be given though, as those that provide advice on here are highly skilled and understanding of hardware faults, and their subsequent diagnosis with limited information and contact.

It is also a tad extreme to suggest someone has no right to open up their computer unless they understand what a multimeter is. I rarely use one, but my customers aren't suffering for it - so that comment is a bit hard to quantify tbh.

I'm not knocking you, the easiest way "sometimes" is to just use a multimeter, but I can count the posts in which the OP has used one with one hand in my 2200+ posts, and countless threads read on this forum. Its just an unrealistic expectation, but if you feel it would be of benefit, your most welcome to do a guide with plenty of detail and pictures that could be used to assist those wanting to diagnose issues.

P.S. Please could you use edit in future rather than double post. Cheers.

yes i understand electricity but am still a beginner in the computer building world and the only way to learn is experimenting on my own stuff and asking the pro's (you) im a automotive tech so most of the electricity i deal with is strait forward 12/24volts a computer on the other hand makes me uneasy since most tell me Evin a slightest bit of evin static can corrupt computer components i will on the other hand take your advice and bring my multimeter home from work but in that event it would be nice to have a website to walk me through some of the prosess involved in it.by the way the other PSU is the one im using in my other computer (im on now)

That is completely correct. :)

10,000V would still leave a mark though, low amperage or not. :haha:

how true lol i don't plan on purchasing a prius any time soon though lol but in the event that my motherboard is fried witch would really suck because it is new lol is there a chance that my i3 core prossesor will still be good and usable on another mobo

Assuming you test the PSU on another computer (or use a multimeter to confirm voltages are good), the likely cause is the motherboard.

It should be OK, but I'm guessing since the motherboard is new, so is the CPU, so that will also be covered by warranty. I'd RMA the motherboard, and should it not work on return, RMA the CPU as well. Or just RMA both items to be certain.

figured out that i have to go through the manufacturer i tested the continuity between the 24 pin and the pin where my power button posts on the mobo and got nothing im pretty sure its there yip need another mobo shoot was thinkin about upgradeing anyhow lol

I was afraid it might be your motherboard. Do you know what kind of system you need? Do you have a budget in mind?

well i wanna keep it within 200dollars and i use mine for gaming id like to keep my i3 core and my ddr3 ram (will be back online on monday have to leave for a few days)

Back