Computer shut down problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer_squirrel

Recently, when i shut down my computer through Win XP it will go through the step and seems like it shuts down. But, the problem is I can still here the computer fan "humming" like it is still running. I even let it sit for several hours and never stops. I can press and hold the power button for a few seconds and it will "shutdown" but it continues to hum. Also when it "shuts down" the picture on the monitor disappears, but you can tell it is still receiving a signal from the tower. Any ideas??

Computer specs:
eMachine w2686
not sure on make and model of motherboard
AMD AthlonXP 2600+ processor
512 mb RAM
80 gig H.D.
Onboard graphics and sound
250 watt power supply

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. I'd tyr replacing the memory. That can be the biggest culpript of ocmputer problems. If you have more htan 1 stick, try running with just 1, if not, try replcing.

If this doens't help, hopefully someone wil hlepo you ,b ecause I"m drunk...I mean sover...Yeah tha't sit

Anyway replace ram to check status of current chip.

Another little piece of info, after it sat there "hummng" for awhile i unplugged the tower. Awhile later I plugged it back in and it would not come back on. I opened the case and checked all the plugs to make sure they hadn't come lose, and wiggled the wires coming out of the power supply. Guess what, it came back on!!!!! Now don't get excited, the shut down problem was not solved!!!! Oh, by the way, this P.O.S. occasionally doesn't like to recognize my optical mouse!!!!

Try going in the control panel and click on Display. Screen Saver tab then click power under monitor power. You should then be in Power Options Properties . Make sure everything is set right there. Then click on the Advance tab. then check out Power Buttons near the bottom and see if it is set on "Shut Down" When i press the power button on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back