Computer shuts down after loading Windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani9678

I have a computer that shuts down after loading Windows. When it is loading, a menu loads just before windows with 4 options I believe. You can pull this menu up when pushing F8. It doesn't matter which option I pick, It will shut down just before Windows loads. But just before it shuts down, it will display the following message "It is Now safe to Shut Down Your Computer". Any ideas?
Thanks

Matt
Zephyrhills, FL

Windows ME, was stated that it should be re-installed every 6Months (of normal usage) to continue to work properly

Do you still have the ME disc and key (COA sticker on the side of your case)
If so, then if backing up is not required, it may be best just to re-install fresh

Edit:

I found ME brand new here for a buck!
But it would be sad to unseal it

I have a copy of Windows Me, but not what came on the computer. It is an upgrade version. I also have a copy of Windows Xp which also is an upgrade version.

Then you need any 98 CD (But you don't need the key for it)
There is a workaround though, that you can use the existing files installed on your ME system, but it's preferred to do a clean install anyway

By the way, if your computer can take it, install Xp (Because ME is not supported by MS, being very old now, and Xp is far better anyway)
But you will need an XP key that is not currently in use (otherwise both computers may be de-activated)

I knew windows Me was crap from having used it way back in the day but recommend reinstalling every 6 months? I believe it but wow...what a pile.

Might be the beginning of sentient computers that reject the installation of sub standard software.

Give your computer a snack for being smart, then install a real OS

S*D

Kimsland mentioned getting another license key for the software. Does Microsoft sell additional software keys for Windows XP?

Last night I tried to reinstall WindowsMe but the computer would shut down just as the Windows CD was loading. It gave the same shut down message a split second before it shut off. Is there another way around this so that I can install the program?

Please run Memtest for at least 7 passes for a thorough test of your Ram

By the way, how much Ram is it ? (Because Xp, if you install that, requires 256Meg, or ideally 512Meg, and preferred 1Gig of Ram)

I believe it is 512MB. I have Windows XP one one computer already and don't want to install it on the other if Microsoft is going to lock both of my computers out if it detects the same registration on 2 computers. I know that I have to have it verified everytime I have had to reinstall it on my computer or else it would only give me 15 days I believe before it disables. If I had it verifed on the other computer then wouldn't Microsoft detect it on 2 different computers?

Lets be clear

Scenario one
Xp activated and working on computer1
Same Xp not activated on computer2
Both computers will work

Although I should mention this is not legal, as each computer with Windows Xp installed (activated or not) requires it's own product key

Scenario two
Same Xp activated on computer2
Both computers will automatically de-activate, you will also see popup warning messages, that you cannot remove

Scenario three
Different Xp activated on computer2
Both computers will work happily and legally :)

"Kimsland"
Yes that is what had already crossed my mind. The computer that has the problem originally had Windows XP on another drive. It was having the same problem as Windows Me is now except insead of shutting down, it would just freeze after you made a selection no matter if it was safe mode, normal mode, etc. I wanted to put XP on the drive but I was afraid that I may run into problems with Microsoft if I had 2 of the same operating system on 2 different computers with the same license key. So instead, I installed Windows Me on another drive that I had instead of overriting the op system on the other drive. That way it would still be there if I could fix it later. Anyway, I later installed the defunct Windows XP drive in my other computer as a secondary drive so that I could extract the license key from it and then reinstall XP but now my other computer will only recognize it as a removable hard drive. I don't know why it is doing this as it recognized it before. Anyway if possible, I would like to get windowsXP to operate again on the other drive if I can get my computer to recognize it as an internal drive and extract the license key. That way I will be legal.

The one that I used was Jellybean Keyfinder. I believe that is the name. I am not sure right now. I will have to check when I get to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back