TechSpot

Computer shuts down by itself and turns on by itself

By noel12192
Nov 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. so few weeks back.. my computer randomly shut down and it kept restarting and within like 5 seconds of it restarting... it would shut down again and it would keep doing that. eventually it would load up and after like 3 min it would shut down.

so recently i had to use my comp a lot for school work... and it keeps shutting down a lot... sometimes its on for a long time and itl shut down or sometimes it takes like 4 min. Ive had it off one time and it just randomly turned on for no reason. Turned it off once before bed and it turned on while i was in bed. Sometimes itd be on when i wake up in the morning.

The comp is windows vista, Dell

Someone help :/ cant even do my papers...

also quite recently, ive had 3 blue screens, took it to best buy and they said it might be something with the driver/ram... but idk. just today it said i needed a driver update but when i tried to update... it said that the software could not be found. but idk if thats whats causing the problem.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

If this is a laptop, remove the battery and use only the AC adapter. See if this fixes the problem. If this is a desktop replace the power supply first...