Computer shuts down during gameplay

Hello

Same problem, different person. Computer shuts down randomly during gameplay (RAGE). Technically I use this computer at my office, so I don't play many games with it, but it has run Fallout 3 in the past with no issues. So at least there is some sort of baseline. Oh...and EVE online ran with no issues when I played that.

RAGE will start, run opening sequence, get into the actual gameplay, ran for about a minute the first time, then shut down my computer. Second time it ran for about 75 seconds, third time about 90 seconds. I got a little further each time...

The second and third time I ran a GPU and CPU heat monitor. All 4 CPUs sat around 60 - 65 C. GPU seemed to peak around 70-75 C. None of which seemed way out of whack. Also went into my BIOS and changed the warning level for my CPUs to 80 C from what it was originally set to of 60 C. All this said was a warning level though, not like some sort of fail-safe shutdown zone. I didn't see anything that would have shut my computer down when it reached that level.

Home built computer about 2 years ago. I've included a DirectX diagnostic, as well as computer specs below. I doubt it is a lack of wattage from a psu, as that seems to be the common problem. Although it is always possible it is a faulty psu. Let me know what you think

Thank you,

-Drew

Intel i5-750 2.66GHz 8 MB
GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P
AZZA Dynamo 850W

Attachments

• Roo681-DxDiag.txt
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
update the nvida forceware drives to the latest one, there are heaps of bugs with rage in general but apparently the new drivers have fixed most of them

Almost

I thought that might have been the solution there for a little while. Made it at least twice as long as I was before, a solid 5-6 minutes before my computer shut itself off. I'm assuming it is a hardware issue rather than a software issue just because it happens at completely random points in the gameplay (not that I can really progress too far in 6 minutes). However, I'm far from an expert on the matter. Let me know if there are any other thoughts.

And if someone else suspects an issue with my psu, could you tell me a good way to test it? I can test voltage, I just don't really know what I'm looking for. And if I have to test amperage...then I'll need to an explanation because I always seem to struggle with amps.

Thank you in advance,
-Drew

I'd think it was a hardware issue because the computer is shutting down. I'd break out a copy of Memtest+ and let it run for 7 complete passes. If the memory passed all of the tests without errors or without the computer shutting down then I might suspect the power supply or the video card. If the computer shuts down then I'd suspect the motherboard, and if the memory comes up bad... well I'm sure you can figure that out. :)

Memtest complete

Ran Memtest overnight. It went through 19 passes in all. No errors found, and was still running when I came in this morning. Reading up on Memtest I understand this isn't a guaranteed no issues with memory, but at least makes it less likely.

I also went through with a voltmeter and checked each of the motherboard pin's voltages. Every pin was within its tolerances under a load (with the hard drive on, video card hooked up, CD drive, case fans). I don't know if this is a thorough enough test to stamp the power supply as reliable, but I figured it was a start.

So, according to Cinders, this would leave my video card as the culprit. But if there was an issue with the video card, would it shut the whole computer down, or would it just stop working at knock my display out? I guess if it is some sort of electrical short then it could knock the whole system out though. Anyway, if anyone has anything to weigh in with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your responses,

-Drew

it would prob just bluescreen because windows would relise your card is about to blow up. i don't think it could be your card because it would happen with other games to, you don't have any other new game do you? also have you tried running it on the lowest settings with nothing turned on?

When you say shut down your computer, do you mean instant off? Or does it run the windows shutdown?

If it turns instantly off, i would bet a lot on it being the power supply,

If you are not seeing any artifacts, heat issues, or nvidia drivers stopped responding messages, i would rule out the graphics card.

DKRON: I do not have any other games to test, but I bet I could borrow something from a friend. I'll report back once I've tested another game.

fimbles: Instant off. Middle of gameplay to totally off, just like a short. That is why I was leaning towards power supply at one point. Like previously posted, my voltage is within its limits under a load, but I can only place under so much of a load. Might be a case of it only failing once the video card and processors really start winding up.

I ran the game yesterday for the fun of it. Noticed that there was some horizontal pixelation that would occur if looking around rapidly. Would create a pixelated line accross the entire horizontal plane of the screen. Similar colors as to what the background image was, just pixelated. Maybe half an inch wide as viewed on the screen. Doubt that is much of an indicator of anything.

I'll post once I test run another game.

Thanks again.

Back