Computer shuts down, won't start up again

By Master Toddy
Jul 25, 2005
  1. I was playing Battle for Middle Earth this morning, and in the middle of the game, my computer shut down and I can't get it to start back up. I turn it on and it doesn't do anything (the fans start, but no beep).

System specs:

Athlon XP 2600+
    1 gig Corsair pc3200 ram
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb
    Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
    Maxtor 160 gb hd (7200 RPM)
    Echo Star 580 Watt PSU
    Nvidia nforce 2 mobo

My bios is up to date, and I tried resetting the bios settings on the mobo but it didn't fix anything.

Any ideas?
  2. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

How many sticks of ram? 1 or 2
    Generally I'd start
    by swapping the cmos battery,
    then if that doesn't help,
    un-hooking to a barebones.
    Don't remove from case just un-hook cables and power

all but
    keyboard, ram, cpu, video and psu
    just to check MoBo...
    Post back
  3. Master Toddy

Master Toddy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

Turns out it was my power supply. Played aroudn and decided to try plugging in my old 300 watt power supply and that was the problem. I haven't even had my 580 watt one for a year, so I think it might be under warranty. I hope it is, I'm not too trhilled about having to downgrade to 300 watts...not with my system.
  4. Abraxas

Abraxas TS Rookie Posts: 157

You shouldn't, that's way too low.
    Why did you put the 580W PSU into your specs description, then?
    Very confusing. :rolleyes:

Or hold this just a case of confusing phrasing in your last reply?'s confusing, either way. :monkey:

(So what PSU was it then, I take it...the 580W was the culprit, is that correct now?)
  5. Master Toddy

Master Toddy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

I'm saying that I had the 580 watt power supply and it died, so I had to put in the 300 watt power supply that I was using before I got the 580 watt power supply (I still had it from when I bought the 580 PSU about a year ago).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.