TechSpot

Computer slowed down

1. Last night my computer was running fine. Today it feels like it is slowed down. For exampe, when I went to play a certain game, that always ran fine on my computer with great FPS rates, now it is very laggy. However, what is strange, is that other games, that I tried seem fine.

But I think it is something in the computer and not the game. I say this because my computer just generally feels slower. Games take a longer time to load than usual. Also when I drag the Internet Explorer broswer there is a small lag delay before it starts moving, I do not think I ever had that before. Just generally, it feels like there is some sort of lag issue on the computer.

I had a similar problem like this in the past. I solved it by playing around with the AC adapter and my computer FPS rates were back to normal. It feels like a similar problem I had before but I am not sure what is causing it.

2. Dantrag

Dantrag TS Enthusiast Posts: 262

I would first rule out software problems. Sounds like a malware/spyware problem.
    download and run http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and http://www.safer-networking.org/nl/mirrors/index.html .
    These are good tools to keep you pc free of such things. Also let you anti-virus run a scan if you don't have one check out http://www.avast.com/nl-be/index . a defragmentation of your drive may help also. If you still have problems after that get back to us.
    If it was a power issue make sure your cpu and gpu are running at full speed and not downclocked to save energy.

3. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Run Task Manager (right-click on Taskbar). Is you CPU usage at 100%? Check which process is using the most resources.

4. HiJackThis1.99

HiJackThis1.99 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 89

1) No, it is not a spyware problem. I check my computer regularly, that I know for a fact is not an issue.

2) My CPU usage is at either 0% or 1%. In the extreme case, when I ran GTA 4 on my computer (a very demanding game), which actually ran fine, the CPU usage was only 12%. I was able to minimize the game immediately and go to a different application without my computer slowing down.

3) I think maybe there is a problem in my power supply for the laptop. I had a similar problem, just much more extreme, before when everything was running really slowly. I fixed it by moving around the power cord. I think that maybe there is a break in the power supply somewhere and my computer is not recieving maximum power which is slowing it down. How can I check if my ac adapter is fully functional.

5. HiJackThis1.99

HiJackThis1.99 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 89

I solved the problem. Now everything runs smoothly at max FPS rates. Basically, when I unplugged my laptop it automatically set itself to consume low power to conserve energy. When I replugged the laptop it did not automatically raise itself to maximum power. Thus, my ac adapter was not supplying my laptop with maximum watt usage, but at minimum level. When I set the settings to use maximum watt usage everything is running fast and smooth.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.