Computer start up is bringing up boot agent message

when i start my computer, it goes to the gateway start page, and after a while (it's quite slow) it goes to the black page, and this is what it says:

Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.10
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

Intel Boot AGent PXE Base Code (BA 1210BC-GW1)
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable
PXE-M0F exiting Intel Boot Agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
in selected boot device.

it just stays on that screen until i do a CTRL ALT DEL, then it goes back to the Gareway screen and after about 30 seconds finally boots up and i get the Windows XP start up page, and it opens up my desktop and i can continue .

Can anyone tell me why this started happening and how to correct it?

How old is the computer, or the hard drive. It appears you have a failed or failing hard drive.

Past time to replace the hard drive. Cheaply done, compared to 7 years ago.
Do you have the original disk set that came with the computer?
Tell us more about the computer brand and model... perhaps from the label(s) on the back of the machine.
If you need help, we can perhaps assist you in testing or replacing the hard drive. The tricky part is installing an operating sytem... without the disks, but if it is an HP, Compaq, Sony, Dell, or other "name" brand, those disks are available for a small fee from the manufacturer.
With a seven year old computer, it is perhaps time to get a better one. But an old computer can be brought up to speed for a reasonably low cost... $50 or less for a hard drive.
And even though the hard drive might be bad, it is sometimes possible to rescue the data...
The key to all this is knowing what you have, and whether you are able to open the case and get an idea of what is there, and what might need replacing.

i have a Gateway 300S Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.20 GHz
My system boots up completely to my desktop and runs fine, after i have to restart is when it says it. So recovering the data is not a problem, i can just back it up to my external drive.
i have the windows XP disk

You can install any of a varied of EIDE hard drives from Directron.com, NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com or perhaps your own store. They come in sizes from 80 GB to 160 GB to 320, to 400 to 500 GB, in prices from $39 to $65. But if the Gateway S series install disk is Service Pack 1, it may only format the drives to a maximum of 137GB out of the box.

If you get help from an experienced friend, he or she can help you format to a larger size. than the 137 GB limit.

It all depends on the Gateway restore disk that you have.

my grandson had an extra hard drive (it's about 4 years old) he put in and loaded the XP disk, and it comes up with the same message.

Has nothing AT ALL to do with your hard drive. You either changed your back up battery or reset your bios settings. Find your model and look up optimal bios settings from Google.
A lot of these nerds don't know crap and just post answers instead of either saying they aren't sure or not responding at all. Sorry you were led the wrong way dude. Good luck.

Has nothing AT ALL to do with your hard drive. You either changed your back up battery or reset your bios settings. Find your model and look up optimal bios settings from Google.
A lot of these nerds don't know crap and just post answers instead of either saying they aren't sure or not responding at all. Sorry you were led the wrong way dude. Good luck.

Well then if that's the case . You should have checked the date on this thread. It is almost 4 years old. I would like to think the OP has it fixed buy now.

Back