Computer starts, screen won't come on

Had a quick question, I got a computer that will start up but the screen wont come on. Im thinking that the light for the screen might have broke, from dropping the computer. Is there anyway to fix it? if so how can I do this and how much will it cost, or would I be better off sending it to a local computer shop?

Is this a laptop? Its possible the screen is broke. Or you may have broken something else, Either way you will need to have it service. Your best bet would be to have a local computer shop look at it and give you a price. Then you can decide if its worth fixing. Or just replacing. It really depends on what was damage after you dropped it.

I am sure someone here my be able to tell you the cost if you want to go that route.

Do a search for service manual for your laptop. It'll show you how to take apart the laptop and perform the repair. It should also list the part number which you can use to look-up cost online. Depends on the popularity of your laptop, you might be able to find a video of the laptop being taken apart. And you can decide whether you want to do fix it yourself or have a tech do it for you.

Hi, If you have a laptop, and it's screen won't 'light up', can you plug in a separate screen in the blue VGA socket on the side/back? You will need to switch the screen output over to the external with keys 'FN + F5' or similar.
If you have a tower pc, and you have dropped the tower, try removing the graphic card and refitting it, it may have moved in it's socket. (If this has happened it may have done some more damage too- but try the refit you may be lucky.)

If its still under warranty & if its NOT your fault, get in touch with the store where you bought it otherwise you could VOID any warranty

Yes it is a laptop, an I dont believe it is under warranty. I can turn it on but the screen wont light up. I was thinking it was the light but im not for sure.

Hi, Do you hear the hard drive working and see the LED flickering? As you can't see the screen to log on, Windows will stop at that point. If you have a spare pc monitor and VGA to VGA lead, you can plug that in and use your laptop normally.
If you don't, but do have a flat panel TV, you might have a VGA input on the back of it to try.
The fault could be as simple as the connector from panel to main board has moved, but otherwise more investigating will be needed, by yourself or a repair shop.

Ok well the hard drive comes on and warms up and stays hot and some led lights come on, but I will have to get a cable to check an see if it works, if the computer screen comes up on the tv how can I go about fixing it, is there a guide somewhere or maybe a video I can watch?

Ok well when I turn it on the hard drive runs but after about 2 minutes it shuts down and when I turn it back on it goes off in about 5 seconds, so what would cause that?

It is more or less overheating as Cinders stated. The only way to know the true problem is to open it up and see what the damage was caused when you dropped it. If you are not able to do it your self. See if someone you know can help you out.

Yes make sure you check everything, All connections to hard drive .( Cpu heat sink) Make sure this is secured. Inspect the motherboard for broken parts and so forth.

You may need to go to your computer retail site. Or google the make and model, If you google you will most likely come across a video. That shows how disassemble This model.

There are usually screws hidden under a thin snap-in plastic cover at the top of the keyboard usually just underneath the display panel, and there are screws on the bottom of the clam-shell which are sometimes hidden under the laptops rubber feet. Usually just taking the screws out of the bottom of the clam-shell will not allow the two halves of the shell to come apart, so you'll have to find the screws that are hidden on the top to get the job done.

Alright I have gotten the computer back going and running but when I power it up after a few seconds the power light starts blinking and it beeps 4 times. wasnt sure what is was, I know its a problem that the computer is trying to tell me but the screen still doesnt come on and I cant find the guide for it. any suggestions.

Back