Computer starts up 10 seconds, shuts down, restarts on its own and works

1. So I bought some new upgrade stuff for my PC. Here is the new hardware.

1 of Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

1 of Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

1 of Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80)

1 of ASUS LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8Z68-V PRO
    -----------------------------------
    The old stuff:
    Xion AXP-1000R14HE Lan-Party Edition 1000 Watt SLI Certified Cross Fire Ready 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU

EVGA GeForce GTS450 SuperClocked 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 01G-P3-1452-TR

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST

Western Digital 500 GB Sata 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-oem Drives31500341AS-Bare Drive
    -----------------------------------------

Now that we got that out of the way, This isn't my first computer I built. I think this is incredibly weird that the computer boots up by pressing the power button on the motherboard without any problems, but when I press the power button on the computer case it boots, but after 15-20seconds without any activity on my monitors it shuts down, then 3 seconds later, reboots on its own with no problem at all. I also tried some solutions. My first one, I didn't have all those brass spacers on my MB I only had 6, now I put all 9 in and tried to start it up, same thing happens. Then I tried adding in one thing at a time, I tried my Motherboard with my power supply unit, same thing still occurs. I really doubt it my PSU just to the fact that after it restarts it works without any difficulty for as long as I want. I'm curious as to why it's doing this. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks.
  2. stormingliquid

stormingliquid Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Memory

So I noticed I forgot to pull my RAM memory out when testing, I did that now, The motherboard and PSU just stay on while on the motherboard the light for RAM stays lit for as long as I want my PC to stay on. When I put one stick in it goes past that light to check my video card then run the bios. but shuts down either on video card or sometimes bios. I have 2 sticks on RAM and they both react the same way. I wonder if it's a faulty motherboard with a bad bios.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

Sounds like you have the computer overclocked using the wrong settings. Set the bios for it's defaults and see if the computer boots correctly

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.