TechSpot

Computer suddenly stopped working, now works (?) again

1. Hey everyone.

I have a problem with my desktop PC.
    A few weeks back it suddenly stopped working one day and I wasn't able to turn it on (nothing happened when I pressed the power on button). I tried unplugging everything, resetting the CMOS, installing a new power cord but nothing helped. I tried doing everything above again 3 days later but it still didn't work.

A week after this, I randomly tried turning my computer on, and it actually worked fine - for a few hours, before it turned off by it self and wouldn't work. Of course, it didn't work the following week after, either. It started about a month ago and just today I tried turning it on again, surprised to see that it actually works (it has been running for 1 hour now). Something I noticed is that the fans seems to be spinning faster and are louder than normal.

I checked the tempatures and they looked like this: (see added screenshot)

[​IMG]
    My PC specs are the following:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 SP1
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,60 GHz
    4,00 GB DD3
    Radeon HD5850
    Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-870A-UD3

Does anyone have a clue what's wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if it all sounds confusing, but this is the best I could describe it

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,864   +187

Have you tried another power supply for it?

3. FrederikNeertof

FrederikNeertof TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

No, I haven't :)

Is there a way to check if its the power supply that's causing the problem without replacing it?

4. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,864   +187

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.