Computer total power off for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

The problem i have is that my comp is fine in say windows desk top mode (ie like now) but when i load anything or play a game or play a movie after a while (about 3mins) the comp power just cuts off total blank.

I have to unplug it wait for a while then re plug and switch it on and its ok (until the next load game etc) .

What is the problem please help

My system is

Advent
P4 2.8
windows XP
g

Ok thanks here are the readings

Found SAMSUNG SP0802N (80.1GB)
Found ACPI temperature (59.0C)
End of detection

temp 1 (green tick) 45 c
temp 2 (flame icon) 55 c
temp 3 (green tick) 48 c
Hd0 ( green tick) 44c
temp 1 (flame icon) 59 c

Thanks again any help much appreciated.

Hi an additional point

speedfan shows three fans but only fan1 has any RPM reading

Fan1 4116 RPM
fan 2 0 RPM
fan 3 0 RPM

It looks like your PC is overheating. As soon as you put a 'load' on it, the temp goes up, then the CPU-safety kicks in by shutting down your PC.
Open the PC, check that all fans are properly connected and running. Clean the dust out of the fans and other parts. Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner, you could fry your memory!
Run the PC with the side off for a day or so. If OK, you need to either put in an extra fan, or replace the current CPU cooler with a better one.
Did you put thermal paste on when you installed the CPU-fan?

sorry although im an experienced pc owner ( ihave had 4 other pcs over the last 12 years) i did not build any of them they are shop bought, so althoughi understand most of the terms i cant say how or if certain things were used in the pc's construction, but i would presume so.

So the key point is that im worried that speed fan shows 3 fans yet only has an rpm reading for the first one... is this normal?

so do you think its a fan related cooling prob then?

From your desc and temp readout, it's def. a heat problem.

Like realblackstuff said, dust off with a can of compressed air from walmart. It's the cheapest solution.

No RPM readout means a) the fan has only 2 wires, or b) the 3rd wire isn't used.

I'd just replace the case with a 120mm fan in/out tower case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back