Computer turns on... sometimes

nrhk

So I brought my computer back from school and it wasn't working. It looked like a motherboard problem so I replaced it and it started working for awhile. Then it started to work intermittently. Soon it wouldn't start at all.

My next step was to test the power supply which was dead. I bought a new one and hooked it and everything was working again. After a day or two, the computer would only turn on every once in awhile.

For example I'll play games on it for a couple of hours and it'll be fine. Then I'll turn it off and come back to it the next day except it wouldn't turn on at all. I'll leave for an hour or two and won't touch it, come back and it's working like normal again. What the hell is up with my computer.

Components replaced: Motherboard, RAM, PSU
I also shorted the power switch to ensure that wasn't the problem either.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that the power supply or motherboard failed AGAIN

CPU fan, power switch, wiring harness, defective optical drive interfering with the rest of the system, defective case fan, defective cable socket... Could be something simple and inexpensive if you find a tech experienced with tracking down weird problems in a computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out.

I tested all the components with the old motherboard which turns on but doesn't boot (no signal on the monitor). It's broken but what it tells me is that it's most likely my new motherboard that's broken.

I replaced the motherboard with the same brand for the 2nd time and once again it worked. I'll see if it works the next day. If it doesn't, I think something in my computer is shorting the motherboard or something like the video card or processor.

Back