TechSpot

Computer wakes up on its own

By circusboy01
Aug 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I've been putting my computer in sleep mode, instead of shutting it down. After engaging sleep mode, I thought my computer was supposed to stay asleep, until I woke it up.
    Mine wakes up by itself. I'm usually on my bed, watching TV when it happens. So I'm not bumping my desk, or moving my mouse.
    Anybody know what's going on? Are there setting for sleep mode, that regulates how much movement has to be made before the computer wakes up?
    I live in a mobile home, and I know they tend to shake and vibrate, more than a house with a solid foundation. Although this one seems rock solid.
    If there is settings, like I mentioned above, could it be set so sensitive, that even movement I don't notice wakes it up? Or could it be set up to awake after a certain amount of time?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

check the NIC settings (or the BIOS) for WAKE ON LAN - - it should be OFF
  3. circusboy01

circusboy01 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 811   +10

Can you, please, tell me where to find these NIC settings, of the BIOS, so I can see if it's turned off or on?
  4. jobeard

First, look in the device itself, as shown in the attachment.
    From the Device->Properties and look at the tabs

Attached Files:

5. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 896   +39

For my MSI board w/ AMI BIOS:
    Power Management > Wake Up Event Setup > Resume By Onboard LAN (disable/enable)
  6. jobeard

looks good - - watch for results over night :)
  7. circusboy01

Here I go again. Not being able to find things, people tell me to look for. I get really frustrated with myself sometimes.
    I clicked on the link you gave. Looked like I could find what I needed under Computer Management. Went to CM.
    Looked in Device Mgr, Disk management, performance and services. Couldn't find anything about Realtec. DCIe or NIC. Where should I be looking?
    Probably should have told you this from the start. My computer is a Lenovo, and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
    Thanks again, and sorry for being so dense.
  8. Rabbit01

Device Manager, then expand Network Adapters. Locate your adapter and go from there.
  9. circusboy01

That was easy Found device mgr, found network adapters, found realtek PCIe clicked power mgr, unchecked allow this device to wake the computer. Thank you very much :0)
  10. circusboy01

I spoke too soon. My computer woke by itself, again last night. So unchecking,"Allow this device to wake the computer," didn't work.
  11. Rabbit01

What about turning it off in the BIOS? Does yours have that option?

12. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,222   +231

If the above doesn't work, it might be a program updating its self.
  13. Rabbit01

Good one, could be something in the task scheduler.
  14. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,371   +167

Here's a couple tricks.
    First
    This first trick makes the next step easier (avoids typos). It allows you to cut and paste text into command prompt windows with left or right mouse clicks (which I also find very handy). Open a command prompt window.
    > Right click the title bar (title bar runs along the top of the window). Select Defaults
    > Check Quick Edit then OK
    Now you should be able to copy and paste into your command prompt windows with mouse clicks.

Second
    Open a command prompt window. Now copy the command below to the clipboard (highlight the text, right click->Copy)
    Code:
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed 
    then
    > Left click to select the command prompt window
    > Right click to paste the command text in. Hit return

You should see a list of the devices enabled to wake up your computer. (On my computer, usually includes LAN adapter + keyboard + mouse) see typical output below
    Code:
    C:\>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Go to each device in DevMgr right click Properties->Power Management and disable wake up
  15. circusboy01

Sorry Rabbit01 I don't know how to turn something off in the Bios. What the BIOS is, or if my computer has that option.:(
  16. circusboy01

You should know me well enough by now. to know that if you say things like "It might be a program updating itself" I'm just going to sit here, and scratch my head, because I barely know what you're talking about.
    .Where's the Task scheduler, and whats the something I should be looking for?

No. guarantee.But. If you could tell me what a command prompt window is, and where I would find it. I think I might be able to follow your instructions..
  17. circusboy01

For everyone who is is trying to help me. Thank you. Just so you all wont think I'm completely stupid. A lot of the things you are talking about, I probably know. I just don't know what they are called.
    For instance. The window that goes across the top of your browser page. I'm sure has a name. but. To me it's the www. window
  18. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,811   +178

Click on your start menu. When it opens click on all programs . Then click on Accessories.Once this opens click command prompt window. Hope this helps.
  19. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,222   +231

circusboy01, when I suggested it could be a program updating itsself, that would mean your av updating itsself or any other program you might have thats doing such. Follow the advice given by the others in this thread, I'm sure they're more knowledgeable than I am. I don't know W7 that good,:)
  20. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,371   +167

@circusboy01

No worries. We're all here to help each other out :) Follow cobalt's instruction to open a command prompt window. The "title bar" is the dark colored bar that runs across the top of a window. The title bar typically tells you what the window is for. Here's one example I found (albeit for an Explorer window)
    [​IMG]
  21. Rabbit01

Depends on your computer, sometimes you press the Del key during startup to get to the BIOS, somethings one of the Fn keys. What's the make & model of your computer?

As for the Task Scheduler, click Start, then type Task Scheduler in the Search Box. Click on it to open. Look thru the list to see which ones has a check next to "Wake the computer to run this task". This might take some time, depending on the number of items you have.

Attached Files:

22. jobeard

Boy, sure learn some neat stuff @ TS :)

also try powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any

When I saw my results, it dawned upon me that a Bluetooth {KB | Mouse} could generate spurious inputs
    due to low battery conditions -- my BT Mouse has been barking for two days, re battery at x%.

Now the KM | Mouse SHOULD require user input (ie move mouse, strike key} and a sleeping system should not
    be sampling devices, BUT WAKE ON xxx says any of these devices can/will create inputs.

Q? IS YOUR KB | MOUSE Bluetooth?
  23. circusboy01

Everything that can be updated has been updated. Sorry for getting so frustrated in my last reply. ;0)
  24. circusboy01

See what I mean by knowing what something is. But, not what it's called? Heck. getting to the BIOS is easy.
    Like I said to learningmypc sorry for my frustrated last reply to you.
  25. circusboy01

Went to BIOS couldn't find anything that said WAKE ON LAN (probably just didn't know where to search.)
    Where would I find the NIC settings so I can check them?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.