Computer will never sleep when game is open

fw2004

Hi;
For all the time I have played OpenGL or DirectX games, I have learned that the computer will never hibernate, sleep, or suspend while the game is running; even if no one is playing the game for hours.
The problem is that often, someone leaves the game (the particular game in this case is 'Bejeweled" running all night. So the computer sits there wasting power.
This has always been the case with every Windows computer I have ever used. I just accepted the fact that games override the power saving features on the system.
So, is there any way to have the computer go to sleep even when the game is left running?
The OS in my case is Windows XP.

Thanks

FW

Why would you leave the game running all night? If you are not playing it. Have you tried putting the computer to sleep. From the shut down menu?

Why would you leave the game running all night? If you are not playing it. Have you tried putting the computer to sleep. From the shut down menu?
It's not actually my computer. It's my sister's, and she has the habit of walking away and never coming back to it. I'll try to get here to quit the game when she's done for the night. Sometimes I close it and shut down the system myself, but I get a little annoyed that others don't take the same interest in conserving power that I do.

Other then shutting it down. The only other way I can think of is to put it to sleep threw the start up menu or set the monitor to shut down 20 mins after its idle. You can do this in the power options icon in the control panel. Good luck

The problem is that the PC isn't technically idle. This page explains when it is idle. As such, it won't sleep.

But, a suggestion for you: kick your sister in the *** and make her not be stupid.

Back