Computer will not boot after installing new video card

skarmory2002

Hey, this seems like a weird issue to me.

So, I have a computer that the video card fan died on. I decided to replace the fan, and lo and behold find that most of the fans I can get do not fit properly due to a capacitor in the way. I ended up trying 3 different coolers and got sick of trying them when they would not work.

I decided to just buy a new video card so I opted for a GTS 450. When I recieved it, I installed the card into my tower, and now my computer will not boot. It posts, and video is displayed, but it will not get past initializing HDD controller during boot. I have unplugged all of the hardware I can think of, but nothing seems to help. Strange thing is, this happens on more than one type of video card, and if I put my old card back in with the shotty fan, and it works.

What can I do to remedy this problem? Any help would be greatful. Thanks :D

What other cards have you tried? It could be that your PSU isn't powerful enough....

have you tired uninstalling the video drivers before you install the new card? also make sure you have the 6pin pci-e power adapter pluged into your card or else it wont boot.

I have tried a G210 as well as the gts450. The 6 pin connector is plugged in, but i don't think it could be a drivers issue because the system does not even get close to Windows after installing the new card. I do get picture on the screen, but the computer won't boot past the part where of the post where it initializes the HDD controller.

The PSU is a 380Watt Antec Earthwatts. I have run much bigger cards than a G210 on them without issue. However I will try a bigger PSU and get back to you.

OK I tried a 500 Watt and still no go with the 210. MSI has only told me that I either run the old card ad take the risk of the overheat or I get a new board, neither of which is an acceptable answer. Can anyone think of any reason that the 975X Platinum Power Up does not work with a N450GTS?

Back