Computer will not boot (hangs, black screen, virus?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajross

Hello All,

I've recently been inspired to work on my Dell Studio 1536 laptop that, from what I believe, is infected with a very nasty virus (rootkit, even?).

Symptoms and issues and progress I can make are:
  • Computer will turn on, and load the startup screen where F8 or F12 may be pressed to change boot or enter BIOS (I cannot enter safe mode; I'm given no option to do so throughout the loading process). However, I can select how I would like to boot from F12 or enter BIOS setup by pressing F8
  • If I try to boot from my HD, it enters a black screen where it hangs. Nothing.
  • If I try to boot from a CD in the DVD drive, it starts loading, but hangs mid-startup. Nothing
  • If I try to boot from a USB drive, it hangs. Nothing.
What I have tried to do to outsmart this thing:
  • Reinstalling the OS from a disk -- it feels as if it is stopped; uncompleted
  • Deleting the entire HD with a third-party utility -- Failed. Interupted and continues to hang during loadup
  • USB drive installation is the same way -- hanging
  • I can, however, load into a linux/unix operating system and "see" the drive. Unfortunately, I can't access it. There is an error that occurs.
I do not need anything on the laptop; nuking would be perfect for me at this point. Suggestions? I can provide screenshots if needed!

I'm going to post this in a few different forum types because I don't know if this is hardware related or virus related..Hope this isn't a problem!

Thank you all for your time and help!
A.

I'm going to post this in a few different forum types because I don't know if this is hardware related or virus related..Hope this isn't a problem!
Please do not post the same problem in more than one forum. As you have already posted in the Virus and Malware forum I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back