TechSpot

Computer will not boot-hardware issue.

By Bigdeath
Jun 19, 2007
  1. I have a fry's computer with an ecs motherboard and 2.8ghz pentium 4. I run ubuntu studio as an os on it but I have had problems on it for quite some time now. It just randomly shuts off without warning (fans and everything stays on display goes blank) and when i try to restart it I just get a blank screen. I tested my power supply with a tester and it checks out ok. It raised suspicion cause sometimes everything just randomly cuts off fans and all. After a while it will just start working again until once again it randomly cuts off. I thought i could be the ram but i did a memtest and they check out ok. I have taken both out and just tried running each one solo. Still no results. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. TangoTrolly

TangoTrolly TS Rookie Posts: 59

I have found that those power supply testers are no good if you a an intermittent power supply. Way to confirm if your supply is bad, is to replace it with a spare one.

Your condition could be caused by a CPU fan not working, short on the MB, bad caps on the MB, but most likely the power supply.

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

have you checked on your temps? can you immediately turn it on after it switch off or do you have to wait a while?

overheating CPU (with a cause mentioned above) can create this effect of randomly switching off..

4. Bigdeath

Bigdeath TS Rookie Topic Starter

its been off for about 5 hours now and still will not boot. When I turn it on every thing comes on, the fans, lights on front, cpu fan, and everything else. Theres even a single faint short beep, and from what I understand, that means its posting as it should. Could that still be a power supply issue?

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes, this still could be caused by a failing power supply... or even a failing motherboard

6. Bigdeath

I replaced the motherboard about a year ago. Fry's techs said that was my problem but it had the same problem imediately when i got it back. Suddenly it stopped doing it until about a month ago. Does this give any insight? Could a power supply problem be that spasmodic?

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Yes. Just get a new power supply, perferably one that costs more than $35, cheap ones are terrible.

8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes SNGX1275,
    the USA power supplies $35 and below are very noisy. I bought 2 Rosewill Value Series 300 watt supplies for $14 plus shipping a few months ago. They were so noisy that I had to finally remove them. Their power operation was fine though... I replaced them with 450 watt Cooler Master supplies

9. Bigdeath

Ok Ill try it

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

a bad PSU is the most likely culprit. It could be a bad relay or something in the PSU. A tester works best with a multimeter.

But it would be far safer just to replace the PSU with a QUALITY one. Don't buy a no-name el cheapo , chinese brand.

11. Bigdeath

Ok I bought a new one and so far so good. But its worked for days before. So Im keepin my fingers crossed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.