Computer will not boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

camuk

Ok guys, so I am not a techie person but really need some help.

We have a 4 year old Advent ( I can hear the groans already) 3518 which has 3.2ghz, Pent. 4, 1024mb DDR (2 separate drives), 320 HDD.

I think the rest is junk you dont need to know.

Grab a drink guys you might need it!

So it all started after we installed the latest version of I tunes, it would not burn songs onto disc, then started to shut down for no reason,

Gave up went on honeymoon and tried again.

Discovered 3 malware on it after downloading AVG 8.5. Unistall I tunes, still having a problem.

Think I know more than I do I start to see that SP3 has caused problems with this type of computer. Have large problems complete rollback uninstall SP3. Hurray

Works for 24 hours and knackered

So I am now left with a computer which boots up goes into what I presume is Dos (black screen) lots of writing says lots of stuff I haven't the foggiest but all the same as before. however will respond when I do F8.

In case you hadn't guessed I should not be allowed within 10ft of a computer so I leave this alone!

I know the computer needs a good clean out so off for compressed gas tomorrow, but concerned there may be a fan problem as this does not seem to kick in the brief 20 seconds it works but have noticed it very warm when it does work!

Any thoughts? Um and extra blond question are all fans the same and I presume just go straight in and work.

Cheers for any answers, sorry its so long winded just dont fancy taking to someone who will look at me and go easy buck!

Just incase I missed anything here is a link with the spec on it,

CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT
BIOS Phoenix-Award BIOS. Press the Delete key to enter
Motherboard TriGem IT865GE (MS 6743)
Memory 1GB DDR RAM - PC2700
Hard Drive 160 GB Samsung SP1604N - 7200rpm
160 GB Samsung SP1604N - 7200rpm
CD Drive LG GSA-4040B DVD±R/RW/RAM
Lite-On XJ-HD166 16x(48x) DVD-ROM
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive fitted
Video Card nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (256MB)
Sound Card C-Media 9739A AC'97
Speakers Advent SP-120N
Modem Conexant PCI HSPi V.92 (CX11252-11)
Network Card Intel 82562EZ
Case Jupiter
Ports - Front 1x 7-in-1 Card Reader
1x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
2x USB
1x Headphone
1x Microphone
Ports - Back 1x PS/2 Mouse
1x PS/2 Keyboard
1x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
4x USB
1x Parallel
2x Serial
1x LAN
1x Line in
1x Line out
1x Microphone
1x VGA
1x S-Video
1x DVI
1x Telephone
1x Modem
Keyboard Advent PS/2 keyboard
Mouse Advent PS/2 Mouse

For starters, no, not all fans are the same. There are different sizes, speeds, voltage ratings etc... If a fan is dead (or dying) it may cause internal components to overheat, thus leading to hardware failure and shutdowns.

I'm thinking the iTunes installation is merely a coincidence as this software really doesn't effect the system other than adding iPod support. As far as SP3 is concerned, any computer running XP should work fine w/ the upgrade. Have you tried any other software for burning CD's, such as Nero? You might have better luck using a different application. If you are getting any blue screens or hard lock-ups, this could indicate that there is a driver problem that may be service pack related.

First, congratulations on getting married. Second, do you have a Windows XP CD? If so follow this guide created by Rick!
It's pretty easy to reinstall Windows by following the guide. If you run into a problem post back here. The problem could still be hardware related but lets try to repair the Operating System first and see what happens. To answer you fan question, No they are not all the same but all you would need to do is take out the old one and bring it to a computer repair place and get an exact replacement or order one online. Definitely clean out the case with compressed air. Good Luck

Don't think we have a recovery disc or XP disc. The recovery disc we have been provided are both scratched so I think we will have to buy another set,

Is there anything you think I can do in the F8 screen (bios?)

I think due to the fact that I cant log in it may be a hardware problem, in that case will the recovery cd help this or is it a case of working out if something has fried.

After reading some threads late last night I am very concerned about some of the heat that was kicked out and wondered if it has killed something as it used to work on a cold start up but not at all now.

Can items be electrically tested (or some other version) to check they are still working ok?

Wish I had seen this Tuesday, Took it to PC world, they are trying to see if they can fix it as they have the boot up cd.

During which time I started to work out what computer I want to start building so thats the plan for the next 3 months.

Something a lot higher spec and more Ram, new G force graphics card, tv card, and new pentium processor.

Dont know if they can fix it but this is my deal breaker so he can have a mac mini downstairs and I get a new computer to share with the kid and new wireless printer!

What a strange relationship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back