TechSpot

Computer will not boot

By kerinba
Sep 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. hi, ive had my pc for about a year maybe less, its an Acer Launch Aspire X1200 Compact, with all the standard hard ware, it has windows 7.

well, the first problem i saw started about 2-3 weeks ago, when i went to watch a video online, my display driver would crash for a few seconds the screen would go bland and then it would recover, this would happen a fair bit as time went on, in the end most videos would crash, then i was watching a video and it crashed, and had to turn the computer off at the power, now every time i turn my computer on i get the message, "Reboot and select proper boot device" ive read through over posts and they all say to check boot order. ive done so, no hard drive is listed when i go to pick which hd, also, after i get the boot error if i wait 1 hour i can get on the computer, it will load up fine as if nothing was wrong, but then after about 1 minute of use it will crash and then continue to give the boot error message.

so do i need a new hard drive or graphics card or does it just need system recover?? please help!

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Download this CoreTemp and report back with the temperature read out. It sounds as if it may be overheating.

You can run this software to test the graphics card

And follow this guide to test the hard drive.