Computer will not stay on

theregulator187

My computer will not stay on. My wife moved it now it starts and stops. The fans will start and stop.the motherboard is a nivdia 630i. Tried a different power supply same thing and a different power switch and the same thing. I an lost and need help. Thank you.

What are the complete specs of this computer including PSU model/make etc.?

Do you hear any beeps?

Please ensure that there is no dust inside the casing, if you haven't cleaned it in a while do so by using compressed air. Also check that all cables are correctly attached, and RAM is seated properly.

I don't know the complete specs i got it from the trash it is a custom build from what i can tell 1 gig of ram i think 3 gig intel processor nivida 630i with built im graphics enlight 300w power supply 1 160 gig and 1 200 gig hard drive if i touch the pins where the power switch connects to the motherboard i can hold it there enough the fans rev ur enough to start the computer but nothing will come on the monitor

Disconnect everything from the motherboard, HDDs/DVDs etc. and see whether the system POST

No beeps, may mean that your motherboard is not responding. But before going any further, I'd suggest that if you can get another PSU try booting this system with it.

I hope someone else will also look into this thread, and may come up with some more info.

i tried a different psu but it was a 250w power supply should i go buy a higher watt on also if i found the voltage switch got changed and it stayed on when the power switch was hit

250W should let you boot that system IMO.

Can you please download CPUz, run it, then go to About tab and click on "Save as Text", once you've done that, attach the resulting file with your next post.

Ensure that the motherboard is not shorting or something like that.

If that is not the case, well then you probably have dead/malfunctioning motherboard.

Nothing is touching i took the motherboard out to check underneath it there is no interal speaker that maybe why i cant here any beeps could the onboard video gone out like i said the thing will come on if i use a screwdriver but if i use the actual power switch it wont

Hmm ......... may be the switch is broken or something? because as you said, when you short the power connector pins it POST (correct me if I am wrong) ....... I don't know if you can get that button repaired or not.

If it post i cant see it because nothing comes up on the monitor but seems to check be running but on video tried a different monitors if i dont hold the screwdriver on there long enough it wont start

I'm sorry, I am unable to clearly understand what do you mean.

If nothing comes up on screen, it means it probably isn't completing POST, which doesn't sound good frankly.

Going to get a new motherboard next week hopefully that works. If i change the motherboard will i be cake to boot windows off my old hard drive or will i have to get another copy me windows

I'm still suspecting motherboard here, try booting it with one RAM stick (in case you have multiple RAM modules) and disconnect all HDDs/DVDs etc., I think we tried it before but there is no harm trying again before you make the decision to buy new motherboard.

It wont read my hard drive with windows on it bios wont read it tried another hard drive and it read that which really sucks because i dont have my windows product code if i want to install windows on a new drive

I am afraid you can't install windows without a key, if you have some valid record of your OS purchase you may contact MS and see whether they can help you in this regard. Otherwise, your only option will to be buy another one.

Back