1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer with D101GGC mobo won't output to monitor, strange beeps, help

By Coxis ยท 6 replies
Jul 23, 2009
  1. I've had my computer for about four years. It worked as intended until early today, when I tried to turn it on and I noticed that the mobo beeped unusually and I'd get no signal on my monitor. Everything else powers up, fans, cd drives and I can also hear the hard drives. The computer sounds as if it boots correctly, but I get no monitor signal.

I tried looking through Intel's documentation for my mobo but I just couldn't find a beep or POST table.

I get a long beep (3 seconds) plus two short beeps that last about half a second each. I usually get a single one second beep.

Help appreciated.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,246   +235

This may be a memory failure or power supply problem... Have you tried resetting the CMOS/Bios?

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 12,086   +2,107

4. Coxis

Coxis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Thanks, captaincranky. According to that manual, the long beep followed by two short ones indicates a video configuration failure, probably a bad video card (which is consistent with my monitor not getting any signal). I will look into it and see if that's the problem.

In case that's not it, how can I reset the CMOS/BIOS, Tmagic? Do I have to play with the mobo's jumper?

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

read the bios beep guide in the guides forum

6. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Yes Coxis, you have to reset the jumper. Follow your motherboard manual or just Google. :)

7. Coxis

Coxis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Hi guys, bumping this for the sake of archiving and forum searches. It was the video card, it finally gave in... Tried reinstalling it, but it made no difference. Once I removed it for good and connected my monitor to the onboard graphics, everything worked again. I'm damn sad because it wasn't that bad a card (512 8600GT) but at least my computer works again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.