Computer wont boot after new hard drive

I installed a new hard drive a 1tb western digital blue. One night I got my computer to boot found the drive formatted it and everything seemed to be going. The next morning on the windows loading screen I got, Repairing and Formatting drive f. I let it sit for 24 hours and nothing. Ive checked the bios boot order, tried it withut the drive works fine, reset my computer, reinstalled windows..... as soon as I add the drive computer refuses to boot. Any Help would be appreciated.

Please provide more complete description of your system, especially drive letter assignments.

Can you leave the new drive out of boot-order, boot computer and run WD diagnostic on new drive? Results? Errors?

Case: Corsair Carbide
Cpu: Intel i5 4690k 3.5ghz Quad core
Graphics: Evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb
Motherboard: Msi z97 sli Krait edition
Ram: 8gb of crucial
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master t4
Power supply: Evga 500w

My boot drive is c
My secondary is e
And my new drive is f

With the drive plugged in I'm unable to boot completely no way to run a diagnostic.

Last edited:
My computer will power it all as it's worked before I had it partitioned and formatted but now it just seems to not boot with the drive. I unplugged the other drive and tried to boot still won't boot. Only works without the 3rd drive

The issue is that having the new WD attached to SATA port on motherboard and to power supply keeps the computer from booting.
This is a tough one.

So, you removed one of the other HDs from the power supply and that did not resolve the issue. This probably says there is enough power.

Other things you can try:
- use the SATA cable and power connection for the "E:" drive
- access BIOS before Windows startup and confirm the offending new drive is not in the boot order
- if you have another computer available (at home or at a friend's), I would try it connected to that.

If nothing identifies a correctable problem, I would contact your vendor (some will exchange within 30 days of purchase) or Western Digital..

Back