Computer won't boot correctly

Ragnarok1

Hello! So I recently bought a brand new Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 (http://www.microcenter.com/product/...n_HD_7950_3072MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card). After I had finished installing all of the drivers, my computer ran great! I tested out all of my games on steam and was able to run them on ultra. After about a half our of screwing around and playing with this thing, I took another look at all the options on the driver install CD, and saw the GIGABYTE OC GURU II and decided to install it. This is when the problems started happening. After installation the program wouldnt even start! So I tried re-installing it, and my computer froze. I was forced to hard-shutoff my computer and restart it. Now the computer wont even boot up correctly! It just starts up, and after 30 seconds restarts it self in a never ending cycle.
So far I've tried: rebooting in safe mode, and putting in my old graphics card (Nvidia 220). Both of which have had no luck.
Please help!

Try doing a Windows restore back to a time before you tried to install the new graphics card

Well at the moment I'm attempting to reinstall windows, but its taking an extremely long time for anything to load. Could there be any hardware issues contributing to my problem? I did have to take apart my computer to install a new PSU.
EDIT: I would also like to add that I tried doing a windows repair, and all it told me was that it is most likely caused by new hardware installed, It even says that when I put in my old graphics card.

Welp to save money I just upgraded a dell xps studio 8000 to be a gaming beast, only changing the power supply and graphics card. the old specs:
windows 7
8gb ram
i7 880
350 watt psu
nvidia gt 220
not totally sure what motherboard..

new specs:
windows 7
8gb ram
i7 880
gigabyte radeon hd 7950
600 watt psu

No, but I did wear socks on carpet while taking apart my computer... My friend just told me this was a BIG no-no :D. Is there any way to test if I damaged my processor too? :'(

I believe, if you had damaged your processor, you wouldn't be getting any information when you tried to boot.
If damaged... Possibly (?Probably?) just that slot of the mb is all that is damaged.

BUT...
Possibly you have a conflict in your drivers for your two video cards.
Have you made sure all drivers for the original card were uninstalled and removed from the system?

But it would boot for the windows install disk?
How were you reading the message that
told me was that it is most likely caused by new hardware installed,
It even says that when I put in my old graphics card.

Yeah it lets me use the windows startup repair option, and that's what it tells me. I've also tried straight up re-installing windows, but it stays at the "preparing to install windows" screen for well over two hours.. That's how long my patience lasted at least.

HOW are you getting this message?
  • through on board graphics,
  • or through one of the graphics cards?
But that long for the "preparing to install" screen is concerning.
To proceed further, given what you have already done...

What I would recommend is pulling all uneeded material.
  • If you have "onboard graphics" pull the graphics card.
  • Otherwise, pick the one that used to work and leave it.
  • Pull all drive connections except your CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and your boot drive.
  • leave only one stick of ram.
See if you can get through a reinstall with this configuration.

And while you have the case open, examine the mb for identifying information.
Provide that with your next post.
Long shot perhaps, but I am wondering if you have an HCL issue.

OK so.. I unplugged 3 of my 4 ram sticks and plugged in my windows 7 installation usb to see how far I would get (I have no extra drives or onboard graphics).. Same exact problem getting stuck at the "Setup is starting" screen. Then I got curious and decided to unplug my 1tb hdd with windows on it and see how far I could get in the setup.. I actually got farther this time than my previous attempt with the hdd plugged in. However I had to stop since I had nowhere to save win7 to.. lol. Hopefully this helps.

I thought I had posted a reply to your 5pm post. I don't see it now.
I was trying to suggest
  • making sure your drive cables were properly seated (at both ends)
AND,

If the cables are properly seated, and you are pretty sure you gave your MB a static discharge,
then replacing the board may be your next step,
but I cannot guarantee there are no additional problems.

At some point you will also want to run Memtest. (also Available in Techspot's download section).

I'm going to borrow my buddy's sata to usb connector and make sure it isnt the actual hdd that's ****ing up later today.

Would you look at that.. Turns out it was my hard drive all along! What great news this is!:D :D :D
Thank you both very much! If it weren't for you guys, I probably would have ended up buying unnecessary hardware!

Okay... glad you got it sorted.
Still would recommend running memtest at some point.
Please follow the guide we have posted here on Techspot!

Back