TechSpot

Computer won't boot, fans run, blank screen, screensaver on

By Brian1960
Sep 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm going to assume my processor went out on me here, or motherboard.

I usually leave my computer on overnight and woke up to find it off the other morning. I turned it on, fans ran, power light and HD light was on but my screen was blank and in screensaver mode. I shut down and tried again a couple times and after the second or third time I had no power at all.

Thinking my PS was bad I replaced that but had the same outcome as above. I then tried a new video card and had the same outcome again.

Gigabyte 945P-S3 MB
    Processor, can't find the paperwork but it is a core 2 duo processor, possibly 2.93GHz but it's 3 years old so maybe slower.

My processor heat sink was pretty loaded with dust so assume I burned it out. I seem to be pretty limited on inexpensive replacements but may try a Pentium Dual Core E6500, not too expensive but I'd hate to be limited in MB's if that is gone.

I put in a cheap 400w power supply to check that, then a Gigabyte HD 6450 video card.

I did pull the processor, all ram, reset everything but also took out the MB to look it over, no signs of burning.

I did try booting up without the floppy and CD drive, same result, as well as swapping ram to different locations, no change.

What should I look at next?
  2. luvhuffer

luvhuffer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 638

If you do decide to get a new processor, make sure they have a decent return policy if it ends up not being the cpu but the mobo. The E6500 is sort of dated but they have a good price right now. I was looking at them just the other day for a cheap backup unit to replace my 1.8 northwood P4 system.
  3. Brian1960

Brian1960 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I still have no idea what went wrong with my PC.

I've tried a new video card but in the PCE slot. For all I know my old card took out that slot, what are the chances on that happening?

Basically, with no hard drives plugged in, nothing except ram and the video card, I get nothing on my monitor, no beeps at all, the power light is on, when the drives were plugged in the hard drive light was on.

I suppose my next step is buying the cheapest refurbished Celeron that will work in this MB and see if it boots.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.
  4. luvhuffer

luvhuffer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 638

I just sent in my ASUS mobo for service after my PCI E slot took a dump. So it does happen.
  5. Brian1960

No Boot

Well I tried another processor in my PC, a used/refurbished Celeron that was listed as usable on my MB.

I still get nothing, no beep, monitor dark, fans run and HD and power lights on.

So far I've replaced the PS, CPU and video card so I guess a new motherboard is next.

While reading one of the tutorials here I noticed something about the MB using cardboard insulators on the case standoffs. The standoffs on my case are metal but so are the screws and they've been on there for 2+ years, no insulators. I did notice when removing the MB when I first had the problem that the screws weren't very tight and in fact loose, no so much that I noticed the board moving.

Since I really don't want to replace my CPU's now I have to get another 775 board and did find an MSI that will accept both CPU's that I now have. Yikes, I sure hope a new MB fixes the problem.
  6. Brian1960

Case Closed, motherboard failure! I'm wondering if a weak power supply took out my MB as the power supply failed after a couple times trying to get my system to boot.

Regardless, after trying a different PS, CPU and a new video card I replaced the MB, saved all my data, wiped the drive clean and the unit runs great again.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.