TechSpot

Computer wont boot with better graphics card in

By M0rningstar
Jun 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    recently my computer suddenly shut off for no reason and wouldnt turn back on. After messing around with it for a little bit I figured out is was the graphics card. After removing it my pc started up fine. After that I decided to put in an older graphics and it worked fine. I really dont want to use the older one since its alot worse. Is there anything I can do to make my pc work with the newer graphics card? The newer graphics card is a GeForce 9 series and im running on a 32-bit vista with 3gb ram. Im not sure what the older graphics card is but its not very good. Note this computer is 7 years old and ive had the newer graphics card running fine for at least 3 years

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

You really need to get a bigger better power supply. The older graphics card most likely uses less power than the newer card...

3. M0rningstar

M0rningstar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah thats what I was thinking it could be. it just seemed weird that it was working for years before

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Power supplies don't last forever...

5. M0rningstar

M0rningstar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, well that makes sense. Thanks for the input