Computer won't even POST. What might be the cause?

By Mugsy
Aug 10, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The nightmare continues. :mad:

After 2 months, I finally figured out that the source of my crashing was a counterfeit AMD 3200+. So I mailed it back to the vendor and two weeks later (today), I received a brand new authentic 3200+ in return.

2 months ago, after disaster, I bought a brand new MB, power supply, cpu, ram and video card... essentially, everything but the case.

Over the past two weks, while I was w/o a processor, I tried dropping in my old heat-damaged Athlon 1800+, but the computer didn't even post. I just assumed the old processor had finally gone dead.

But today, my brand new 3200+ just arrived. I dropped it in (all copper heatsink) and it too doesn't even post. I'm getting power, fans and drives spin up, but again the computer doesn't even post.

I tried clearing the CMOS, and no hardware other than the cpu has changed since I pulled the old cpu out two weeks ago (everything was working then).

The only thing I can think of that would prevent the computer from even posting is a bad MoBo, but it is brand new and worked just fine two weeks ago.

Any ideas? :suspiciou
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

what mnotherboard do you have there?
  3. Mugsy

Mugsy TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 424

My equip.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mention my specific equipment because I feared steering the thread off on a tangent (the XYZ brand board sux). I have a Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum.

In testing, I unplugged everthing (drives, power & ribbon), all cards, everything except cpu and ram, then powered on. Cpu fan spun up, but no beeps (not even to tell me the vidcard is missing).

So I took the cpu and ram to be tested, and they were fine. I then had them test the MoBo. Also fine. So I pulled out the PSU and had it tested. Fine. I have a (brand new) 1100watt UPS, so I know my power is clean.

Giving up, I went home, put everything back together, and the computer fired up perfectly. :eek:

I'd still like to know what happened in case it happens again.
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i have a lowly opinion of soyo's products, on acocunt of the generally poor quality. but if it works, you might as well leave it.
  5. Austin44

Austin44 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

sounds like u didnt have it put together right 1st.........
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.