Computer won't recognize any external hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 ehd and my computer wont recognize either... one has a separate power source the other doesn't. i tried them both on multiple usb location and both of them work on my other computer. Does anyone have an idea of what i could do?
running xp

try this first. See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post].

If still a problem See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

so i have it showing up in my disk management now thanks to your first article but it doesn't have a drive letter. I looked up some other articles but they all talked about changing the drive letter, how do i actually make one? it won't let me click on "change drive letter and paths" so i dont know how to make it have one

----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order
----------------------------------------------------

Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
Device Object: LaCie Hard Drive USB Device
Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Partition Manager
File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108) [5.1.2600.5512]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512 [5.1.2600.5512]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Darn. I was guessing the PartMgr.sys file was missing but i see it displayed in the results you provided.

When you say "it won't let me click on "change drive letter and paths" do you mean it's dimmed so you can't select it?

Don't change anything but check any other disk or CDs that appear in Disk Management. Rt click and see are they all dimmed for that option? Or is it just the one USB drive dimmed for Change drive letter paths option?

dimmed and its just the one, kinda jumped the gun and changed the drive letter of my disk drive to check if that was blocking it and that wasnt it

OK... Whew. Not as scary LOL but i do hope you changed it back :)

In any case, am off to bed soon so unless someone else can help solve.. will be back again sometime tomorrow. Nite ( or morning or whatever... depending on your timezone!) ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Just occurred to me.... Does Disk Management show the drive is formatted NTFS or FAT? Because if it says it's "Raw" it's unformatted and you can't assign drive letter if unformatted.

Which also begs the question: Did you think you had data on the drive???

NTFS and i have the ehd partitioned so that one half is NTFS and the other half is used for my mac time machine backups. i just want access to the the NTFS formatted part

Very odd

Could you do a screen capture of the Disk Management window?
Hit PrintScreen (might be listed as something like PrtScr) upper row toward right of keyboard. Paste into Programs->Accessories->Paint. Save as a .jpg file and attach it to post

Please provide a list of your current Windows services
1) Download Serviwin Run it and click View->Services
2) Click on a service then Ctrl-A to Select All, Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-V to paste into Notepad (Programs->Accessories->Notepad)
3) Save as a .txt file and attach to next post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back