Computer won't start and highpitched noise

Hi, so I just bought a new graphics gard. Plugged it in and when I then put in the power cable there was a highpitched noise changing tone every few second and the computer wouldn't start. The noise seems to come from where I plug in the cable. Anyone have any idea what this is and how I fix it?

Yes, the power supply is probably being over loaded and it has gone into current or voltage shutdown

If the noise is coming from the PSU there's every chance that it has expired. Your post gives the impression that the cable you refer to is the one connecting the mains supply to the PSU.

If the noise is coming from the PSU there's every chance that it has expired. Your post gives the impression that the cable you refer to is the one connecting the mains supply to the PSU.
Yes, that's the cable. But I don't understand how it can just break after I change a graphics card. It worked fine just an hour before.

My guess is that the new card asked for more than the PSU could give (you can check that in the power supply calculator link which I first posted). Asked too much, it tried, and died.

So, what can you do? Check the power calculation and consider trying a new power supply which can comfortable handle your new power budget ( I like to have 50% more). It is also possible that other things have gone wrong - especially if it is cool and dry where you are - static electricity can do damage unless you are grounded out.

Back