TechSpot

Computer won't start, help please

By csba09
Nov 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I'm new to these forums. The other day I went to turn on my computer, I pressed the power button and absolutely nothing happened. I did a google search to see if I could find out what was wrong. I've tested my power supply manually with a multimeter and everything seems to be working fine with the PSU.

I have also tried to manually power on my computer using the screwdriver technique on the "pwr on" pins, but it didn't work.

Is this a motherboard problem? Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200
    Asus a8n-sli motherboard
    Hiper 580W psu
    2gb corsair ram
    evga nVidia 7600 GT
    Windows xp
  2. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 206

I know this is weird, but how about the power strip? I was fixing a new computer, hooked it up to a new power strip, and it wouldn't turn on. Turned out the power strip was bad. Sometimes, the answer to these things lies outside of the computer. Another thought: the ATX four-pin connector from the power supply to the circuit board is loose.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

4. csba09

csba09 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried plugging it directly into the wall and didn't have any success. I've also tried repositioning all the connectors and still nothing.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.