Computer won't start! New system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.

I have problem with a computer I am building for my brother. I have collected all the pieces and I actually think the process went smoothly. But when I try to start the computer, the front blue power LED flashes for a second and then turns off. I took of the side panel of the chassis and saw that the CPU FAN and another FAN connected to the PSU started but then stopped after a second - just like the front power LED. A green power LED on the motherboard lights permanently when power is connected.

The system has following specifications:

Asus P5K, Intel P35, LGA775
Samsung SP T166 500GB, SATAII, 16MB
CoolerMaster CM Elite 333, No PSU, Black
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4, 2x1024MB
Corsair CMPSU-450VXEU, 450 Watt PSU
Samsung SH-S203D, DVD±RW, Black, Bulk
Inno3D GeForce 8600GT, 512MB, PCI-E
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200, BOX

So far, I have been troubleshooting and I've checked following things:

• I've double checked that the RAM was properly put into the sockets. I have put one unit in DIMM_A1 and the other unit in DIMM_B1. I have tried to start the computer with just one unit in DIMM_A1 but it didn't work.
  • I have tried to reconnect all the cables (SATA and power wires). But it didn't help.

I don't know what else to do. I really do not hope that I have caused damage to any of the parts. I don't think I did actually.

I hope you can help find out why my computer isn't starting. Thank you!

Strip the system down to the RAM, CPU, motherboard and PSU, taking these 4 components out of the case and setting it up on a desktop (make sure the motherboard is sitting on a non-conductive surface) to ensure that the case isn't grounding the motherboard or anything.

If the results are the same, you've probably got a defective PSU or motherboard. Grab another PSU and see if it changes anything (swapping the PSU is easier than finding another motherboard for your RAM and CPU). If the second PSU won't get the system rolling, RMA the motherboard. If it does, well, obviously, RMA the PSU.

Hi Zenosincks. Thank you for your quick answer.

I found out that I had forgotten to plug in the ATX12V cable. Now it spins like a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back