Computer Won't Start...sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I went to start my computer and nothing happened. After pressing the switch again, it booted, no problem, so I assumed it was a fluke (maybe I didn't press hard enough, etc). Shut it down. Next time I went to boot, same thing, but pressed the button like 10x. Long story short, I have sat for up to 10 minutes trying to turn it on - I just leave it on standby now. In an effort to fix it, I upgraded the PSU to an Antec Truepower 650W, and voila, it worked! That is, until I turned it off and tried to turn it on again....same thing.

So what do you think, faulty switch? Short? If the short is internal, it would have happened by itself (hadn't changed or even opened the case when it started). I have also looked for a replacement switch to no avail (Coolermaster Wavemaster case)

I do get power lights on the mobo...Running an AMD Socket A 3400mhz with 1gb ram (2 sticks)...I have left the computer on for 3 weeks, no other problems.

Thanks in advance!

A faulty switch is likely - if it is a newer comp the ATX design just uses a quick make-break activation to signal the mobo afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back