Computer Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very old computer. It's the Dell DHM, and it won't start.
When I plug in the power cord, and press the power button, the light around the button turns yellow, the fan starts, but that's it. No boot beeps, no lights on the back or anything.

I'm guessing it's something wrong with the mobo or bios.

Thanks for the help!

Could you check using a different power supply. Could very well be a PSU issue since it's so old.

Thanks for the reply! I've tried multiple power cords, and they all work on my other computer. I'll try replacing the possibly dead PSU with my other computer's one.

Well, I replaced the possibly dead PSU with a working one, but the same problem occurred. What else could be the problem?

Does the motherboard LED light up when you power on? You could try replacing the mobo battery and check.

If that desn't work then it's likely the motherboard. Sometimes the culprit turn out to be a dead CPU but it's quite rare. However, it's very difficult to give a definitive answer. Is there another PC on which you'll be able to test the CPU?

You could also take the motherboard out of the case and place it on an antistatic surface. Then power it up and check whether anything inside the case may be shorting it.

Yes the motherboard LED lights up, it's yellow. And yes, I tried replacing the battery with another working one that I tested on my other desktop.

I'll try your other tests. Thanks for the help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back