Computer won't turn on

gel

this problem start when my friend open a multiple web page ..it hang or freeze so i manually shut it down by pushing the on/off button.when i tried to turn on it wont turn on it will just light up the (power,wifi,etc.) then shut down.i tried switching adapter thinking maybe the power source,reset the RAM but still it turn off ,i try to put my RAM to the other computer with same model turn out to be okay and my Hard drive too. sometimes i have to wait for like hours and it boot up but it freeze where in user menu and i cant move anything on the screen even the mouse so i have to manually turn it off, i even open my computer if my fan is okay,my fan is turning when times it boot up,PLEASE HELP!!!! .
I need all your expertise to fix my computer thank you.

inspiron 6000
2gb RAM
windows xp Media center edition
SP3
intel(R) Pentium(R)M
processor 1.6GHz
version 2002

web site what i meant....netflix,playing movie on wmp,youtube,etc.can't remember the other sites .my hard drive is okay no virus found scan with norton.

Sorry i am not sure how old is the system but its vesion 2002 if this is what you mean.

Can you tell us the make of your harddrive, i.e. Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung, etc.?

(Hitachi)..which i am using it right now inserted with my friends computer.

Hmmm, well I was going to say let's do a harddrive diagnosis but I take it your harddrive is working fine in his system, correct? No issues?

yes my hard drive is fine.i do some a little test last night with the cpu and video card by exchanging them with other computer same type of model turns out BOTH ARE WORKING FINE but after a 10 minutes of 7x of turn on in off it back from to the same problem.it freeze then i manually shut it down then it wont turn on same as before it will just light up.thank you route 44 for being here with me.

I am thinking if this could be a mobo or a virus from computer it self ?

To me it is sounding like it is your power supply. This system is 9 years old and you could have the beginning of failing hardware components.

It could be the motherboard as you mention.

And you may very well be right that there is a possibility of infection which was my first suspicion when you mentioned that this issue didn't start happening until the multiple webpages were opened. Then again your harddrive is working well in another system.

If that harddrive is still in that other system run a full security scan on it and let us know what, if any, it finds.

i let my hard drive fully scan again and run a diagnostic report last night with norton and no issues were found .

i have a questions if your computer get infected with virus does it affect your computer during start up or making a F12,or system restore or make your system shut down?
the only problem is i cannot make a restore coz it wont turn on and if the motherboard why is that sometimes my computer boot up?

For clarification, did you run any harddrive diagnostics (I am not speaking of Norton or ChkDsk)?

No. does this will erase my files and applications from my hard drive when doing that.? the thing is my hard drive works very well here in my friends computer but when his hard drive inserted on my computer still shows the same problem.

No, neither ChkDsk nor utilizing the harddrive diagnostic utility will erase files.

I am wondering if it might be your cables or heat. Is there any dust build up?

yes,you right its not i already did, right click the hard drive the do the diagnostic and recovery or fix the bad sector. and i already clean my computer parts.

no bad sectors found, if it has probably automatically it fix on its on.

Back