Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

isatippy

:hotbounce Hey I need some help My copmuter does not want to turn on. I changed the the power supply from 115v to 230v and every thing was fine for a several seconds but than it shut down and now it want turn on. Some help would be helpful.

isatippy said:
:hotbounce Hey I need some help My copmuter does not want to turn on. I changed the the power supply from 180v to 230v and every thing was fine for a several seconds but than it shut down and now it want turn on. Some help would be helpful.

Some system specs and a little background information would help us to help you.

What do you mean by 180v to 230v ?

BTW Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Regards Howard :wave:

:hotbounce Hey,

I have a,
Intel: p/4 3.0 ghz
M/B: Asrock p4s61
Ram: 512mb
Video card: 128mb
Hard drive: 40 gd

I changed the voltage on the back of the power supply.

These PSU-settings are normally limited to 110/115v and 220/240v
If you live in an area where you get 115v out of the wall, and change the PSU to 220v,
the PC would get only half of what it needs, probably won't even boot.
Similarly, if you live in a 220v area and switch the PSU to 115v, the PC gets double and will blow up on you for sure.

So check the wallsocket-voltage (USA=115v, UK/Europe mostly 220v) and set your PSU accordingly, if it has not blown up already.

:hotouch: Hey if I have 115v coming out of the wall and I changed the power supply to 230v would I have hurt anything and if I did what. I ask because the computer still want turn on. :(

faulty power supply?

Hiya.

I had a similar problem. I changed my power supply, and hey presto guess what? It worked again! :bounce: I'm not saying u shd run down and buy one immidiately, as I'm not sure if THAT is your problem.... Just as a thought that may be worth considering.

well today i wus scanning my computer and after about 7 minutes (McAffee wus still scanning my computer) i heard this sound i dunno wut it wus but it sounded like the fan started spinning really fast, and the computer turned off by it self and now it wont open,
PLZZZZ Help Me!!!!!! I really need help!!!!!
please reply soon, really need help!!! HELP ME!!!!! PLZZ!!!

one more thing, also my computer is in safe mode, and i cant switch it back into normal mode, i mean it shows normal mode but it is safe mode can someone please help me how to do this too but tell me how to make ma comp turn on. PLZZ!!!!!!!
PLZZ!!!!!!!

??

howard_hopkinso said:
Just turn your psu back to 115v and see if it works.

Read RBSs reply to you above.

Regards Howard :cool:

LOL man!

I'm sure he/she did this!
That's not good advice! :)
It's ok to say you're not sure!

A suggestion

bob_ghoati said:
well today i wus scanning my computer and after about 7 minutes (McAffee wus still scanning my computer) i heard this sound i dunno wut it wus but it sounded like the fan started spinning really fast, and the computer turned off by it self and now it wont open,
PLZZZZ Help Me!!!!!! I really need help!!!!!
please reply soon, really need help!!! HELP ME!!!!! PLZZ!!!

Hey man not sure how to help with the safe mode issue...
but your computer not turning on.
You prob need a new Power Supply.
(You can bring your computer to a shop...and they should have a device that you plug the power supply into...it'll tell you how much power it's getting!)

I did this today and mine definately needed to be replaced.
It's really easy to install...
So if you know anything about putting in and taking out hardware...
do it yourself instead of paying them for the 5 minute job.
(you can respond to this if you need help)

ALSO!

I was told by a computer friend, NOT to buy anything under 400 Watts.
(So don't let them try to sell you one)

This is what I bought today...
for the decent price of 67 bucks (tax included)

Extreme Power 500W ATX 12V V2.01
I think the company name is COOLER MASTER

Works like a charm
(Although...I don't buy these often...so maybe a cheaper one would do the same?)

I believe this one isn't the BEST ....but it's far from the worst.
It's a good one.

:)

NOW if it's a mother board problem I have no idea...
but again....ask them to do a check (don't let them charge you for this...it takes two seconds...)
If your power supply is good...
then it must be the mother board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back