Computer's bad memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: I don't know too much about computers, but recently came into a used one. The memory sticks that are currently installed are a 128, and a 256MB into the 2 slots that i have. The comp. alone without any extra memory has 96 MB built in. The computer is reading 352 MB of memory no matter what i do. The computer is not that old(2004) so it must be able to hold more, I assume. I've pulled them out and tried them in other computers, and they read fine. I've switched slots, and no matter what I do, it reads 352 or lower depnding on what i pull out. Any ideas on why my comp. won't read more then 352MB?

it is a laptop or desktop

One I havent heard of a pc with onboard memory except for laptops.
Two Some pcs have a maximum amount of memory usable.
Three Some pcs have onboard video with the option to share the system memory.

Lets say you dont have 96mbs on board.
If you have a 128mb and a 256 you end up with 384
Now you take the 32mbs of shared video memory and you end up with 352.

Other possibility if you DO have onboard memory.
128 Onboard minus 32 for video =96
128 for stick number 1
128 for stick number 2 (because some boards also had a maximum amount of memory per slot it could accept)
you still end up with 352 ....
So it is probably one of those two.
YOu could possibly do a bios update to get the additional memory in that 256 to be recognized.
YOu may also want to make sure the 256 is in the slot closest the processor. The older mobos didnt like higher amounts in the second or third slot.

They have had on board Video for computer somewhere around 7-10 years now. I have a feeling that is what is going on. I had similar thoughs about some memory when I encoutered my first computer with onboard memory. I have a feeling that is what it is especially when he says that he tried it in another computer and it reports fine there.

please

Please send me a link to a motherboard that lists it has onboard memory and not that it has onboard video with shared memory.

My bad I mis-read your post I thought you were saying that you had never heard of onboard Video. Sorry for the confusion.

It is a PC. I took out both mem sticks and it still reads 96 MB. It must be coming from somewhere, so i thought it was built in. Any more insight on how to make the comp. read the additional memory? I know nothing about computers. What application do i go into to get the comp. to read the whole mem?

The question still remains if you have onboard video or a video card. That is a big piece of figuring out this puzzle.

well for one 128 + 256 is only 382 and you have to account for the page file if you are reading the memory amount from windows... so in all actuality you have the right amount windows never reads the right amount.. kinda like when you have 2x 512 sticks and the system properties only says 1gig not 1024mb wich is what it takes to make a gig.. you are ok man.. if there is any bios screen that pops up on post you might try hitting the F2 or delete or the esc key to get into the bios

But i also have 96 MB when i take out the 2 sticks. shouldn't that add up too? How do i get into bios? I don't have a screen that pops up when i start the comp. I turn it on and the 1st screen i see is the welcome screen from windows XP

Badcomp said:
But i also have 96 MB when i take out the 2 sticks. shouldn't that add up too? How do i get into bios? I don't have a screen that pops up when i start the comp. I turn it on and the 1st screen i see is the welcome screen from windows XP
I have seen some laptops that will do simlar things when you add memory to it then the onbard memory that can't be removed won't be reconnized. I don't know for sure ti is because you just can't use both at the same time or the stuff that you are plugging in isn't compabile with the other 96. Of course if that was the case then most likely it wouldn't even boot up if it was the second thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back