Computers v Martial arts

k.jacko

I was wondering what with all us geeks here doing a very sedentary thing such as sitting at a 'pooter.
Does anyone practice any martial arts as an means of mind/body/spirit exercise kind of hobby?

Its possibly the furthest thing away from computer geek'dom which is why i asked the question.

Personally i've studied martial arts for over 20 years, covering many different arts/styles.

Maybe the fact that i slob around a computer preserves my energy to allow me to still practice.

Whats your physical cv away from the pc?

You may practice sports instead, but as a martial artist i'm interested to hear from like-minded folks. :)

I use to practice Jeet kun do. My dad use to study with Kareem Abdur Jabar, if you know who that is. They both played for the Lakers in the 70-80's together. Few of Bruce Lee's many students in California at the time. Now I practice sitting on my back side.

Lol, thats one helluva claim to fame matey.
Kareem in the Game of Death with Bruce Lee.......Legendary scenes!

I have studied Wing Chun, and jujitsu, but i am now trying to gain motivation to take a tai chi class. The nearest Dojo is half an hour away, and i don't want to drive an extra hour a day.

I studied Jujitsu and Karate when I was younger, but I stopped going to training when I was about 14. ( Was doing it since I was about 6 )

Have you heard of Brazilian Jutisu? I watched a lesson a local dojo, pretty crazy stuff.

Yep BJJ was made famous by the Gracie family in the UFC.
It doesn't bear much resemblance to traditional JJ as its mostly groundwork, but it is very effective.

Back