Concerned/paranoid about my USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
one day i got a mass virus load, it shut down my antivirus and other applications so i had to do a reformat.

After the reformat my harddrive seemed clean, but my concerns was my external HDD which was connected to my PC at the time the viruses arrived.

However, i scanned it with Avast, Superantispyware, Spybot and Blacklight, only thing they found was an old GTA IV crack (but that was probably a false positive)

I guess this isnt a lot of info but should i access my external? Or should i use more programs to scan it? (suggestions please)

I dont want to reformat it since i got lots of stuff i dont want to lose.

If its any help i had some Win32/heur on my main drive before i reformat it.

If you scanned your external drive with all of those cleaning tools, then it's probably okay. You should set Hidden and System Files to be viewable. If you need help with this, then write back. The purpose is to see if there's an Autorun.ini on the external drive. Some viruses add or change the Autorun.inf to execute viruses when they're plugged in to a USB port. This can also happen to flash drives. Autorun.inf can be viewed in Wordpad or Notepad so that you can see what's in them. Don't delete the file, just report here what's in it if it exists.

Hope that helps.
Zyldar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back