Concerning a GPU upgrade

With the same Motherboard-MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) what would be the best GPU upgrade sticking on the NVIDIA's side. Also PSU is to be upgraded to around a 500 W. This motherboard has a available PCI express x 1 slot available, would a PCI express 2.0 card perform properly ???

Yes a pci express card will work with your current motherboard, I would say a gtx 550ti or gtx 560 is a great starter graphics card, unless your looking for something like running Battlefield 3 at 1080p resolution with maximum settings(only a few very expensive single graphics card can do that right now), Also the gtx 600 series is a few months away but if you don't want to wait go with the 550ti or 560. A word of advice on using a manufacturers case, I use a manufacturer case for my computer now, and the cooling on it sucks since they don't expect people to be putting graphics cards in there, plus there is no place for fans unless you mod the case, looking at pictures of your computer online, your case appears to be the same way, only one place for a fan, this is fine for the winter, but when summer comes around you will experience some cooling issues mostly while playing games and sometimes when your doing other things. If you don't have money for a new case, I have lived on my manufacturer case for 2 years now but had to use external cooling sources for it to stay cool during the summer(like regular fans). But I would highly suggest buying a new case once you have the money to do so, or right now if you can.

Hey thank you for the quick response and the word of advice I will take this into great consideration. I am actually looking at the gtx 460 for my possible upgrade. Just another quick question, my cpu is amd athlon 64x2 dual-core 6000+ would this have any "bottle-lying effect" , or my graphics card will perform the way it should ? All i want my computer to do is playing Diablo 3 !!

Thanx in advance.

The 460 wont be bottlenecked significantly by the amd windsor, and I believe it should run fine for Diablo 3, and the benchmarks confirm my belief(The processor can run Crysis: Warhead in mainstream graphics with 1680x1050 resolution at 58fps). Diablo 3 is obviously newer than Crysis Warhead, but I dont think it will differ too much in terms of the processing power needed, the 460 will easily handle the new graphics Diablo 3 has to offer. Also, thanks for taking my advice into consideration =) By cooling issues I meant that the computer shuts off if the processor gets too hot due to the processors built safety feature. Whenever that happens the fans I use to cool the machine down get the job done very well, but it does get annoying to me when the computer randomly shuts down in the middle of the game when I forget to put the fan to cool, also it's aesthetically unapealing to me. Having said that, when you're in the market for a new case, unless you can figure out where the power switch, reset switch, usb switches and etc. go on your current motherboard you will have to buy another motherboard. if you want the new motherboard to be compatible with your current cpu any motherboard compatible with an am2 socket should work.

@unknown111

I don't mean any disrespect so please take this as advisement and not ridicule. I'm not a member of management here so there is nothing I could do except spread the word.

You've hijacked someone else's thread. If you need further assistance it would be respectful to the original poster if you started your own thread.

There are members who only answer to the original posters questions. Looking at it from this stand point, you would get better assistance with your own thread.

This motherboard has a available PCI express x 1 slot available, would a PCI express 2.0 card perform properly ???

I'm assuming the "PCI Express x 1" is a typo, and should ready x 16?

Your motherboard appears to have one slot available of x1 and x16, but just want to clarify that the x16 slot is available.

Also, the PSU will depend on the graphics card you choose. 500-600W will suit most GPUs, but ultimately its the amperage that is more crucial. Not all PSUs are equal, so I recommend you get a quality brand.

I probably wouldn't go much higher than a HD6850/6870 or GTXD460 or 550/560Ti right now, as your processor will bottleneck in all likelihood.

Battlefield 3 on this hardware is unrealistic as well (in reference to its mention in earlier replies), as a GTX580 or above would certainly get nowhere near its claimed performance with your processor.

Oh alright sorry guys, my bad. This is what i get online from the manufacturer :

Expansion slots

Slot type Quantity
PCI Two (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (None available)
PCI Express x1 One (One available)

and presently my old graphics card is in the x16 slot...

Oh alright sorry guys, my bad. This is what i get online from the manufacturer :

Expansion slots

Slot type Quantity
PCI Two (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (None available)
PCI Express x1 One (One available)

and presently my old graphics card is in the x16 slot...

So obviously you will have a PCIe x16 slot available when you remove your old graphics card :D

I would say a GTX 460 or 550Ti will fit your system, any higher and you're CPU will start to bottleneck the GPU as others have mentioned.

Back