Configuring a home pc with wireless router for printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two computers at home: a desktop pc that has a cable modem, wireless router and a printer connected via parallel cable; and a laptop with integrated wireless. The desktop has a vpn so that my wife can connect to her office in PA. I would like to share the printer if I can so I don't also have to connect the printer to my laptop. I have tried to enable printer sharing but to no avail. Any suggestions out there?

DJ

I noticed you said you enabled printer sharing but did you actually go to the printer properties and share the actual printer?

Yes, on both computers. I went to the properties and checked share printer and entered the printer name. I have no other ideas on this one. I just didn't know if I needed to configure anything in the vpn settings or in my router.

did you "browse" for the printer from the second system to add it, or did you just try to enter its location? You should try to browse for it. This will show the workgroup and all comps, doubleclick the one with the printer attached and the printer will show, doubleclick the printer and it will install drivers over the network. If any of that fails to happen, check your firewall settings, make sure both comps are in the same workgroup and there are no permissions that might be preventing the setup.

Here is what I did. I went to the computer that has the printer connected via parallel cable and enabled print sharing. The workgroup name is "workgroup". Did the same thing on my laptop. When I went into add printer setup and went through the setup, my laptop finds my wife's workgroup and her pc name, but does not display any printers. I have a linskys wireless router but I am not sure what I am looking at as far as allowing to share printers. Thanks for any help.

on the pc with the printer attached, right click on the printer, click sharing, check "share this printer. The icon should now have a hand under it(indicating it is shared.

If you still can't find it, make certain that you've either configured or disabled any firewalls or other blocking apps.

I have been trying to solve this same problem for the past two days. I finally found a website that explained each step and included screenshots (every other website seems to think writing alot of text is better than a screenshot). I wish I had found this at the beginning of the weekend.

I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to my desktop (Windows XP Pro), two printers connected to the desktop and a laptop (Windows XP Home) with a wireless connection to the Netgear WGR614 wireless router. I can now access the shared printers and access my drive on the desktop.

I cannot seem to include a URL in this message, but you can found the article at a website called - tomsnetworking. If you need the full url, please let me know.

Hope this solves your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back