Configuring my network with the new fiber line

Hello, I've been searching all over for help with a problem I'm having and stumbled across this forum - really hope someone can help me!

I've just had a leased line installed to provide me with a high speed internet connection. It's a 100Mbps fibre pipe and am trying to integrate it with my existing network of 6 PCs and a printer. Previously, I had a 2 line bonded ADSL connection using a Comtrend 5631 router, which also acted as a DHCP server, allocating IPs for all the machines.

The hardware that has been installed with the new line is a Cisco 1941 router which is managed remotely, I have been provided with 5 IP addresses and it operates on a subnet of 255.255.255.248. My original network runs on 255.255.255.0, with the router as 192.168.1.1. What I want to do if possible is use my Comtrend router (or purchase a new one if I have to) the same way it has been used before, i.e. as the main hub which allocates the network addresses but have it connect to the internet via the new router (as the ADSL will soon be disconnected), so that all the machines are connected to the fibre line at high speed. How do I do this?

Thanks so much in advance

Oliver.

It sounds like what you will need to do is use the router in a "passive" mode. What i mean is simply keep your internal network as it is, but create a static route towards the new Cisco Router. The static route should probably be 0.0.0.0 with a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0. What this means is that anything destined to a destination the current router is unaware of, it passes it to the Cisco router which will then forward this onto the internet.

Does this make sense?

Back