Conflicting local networks

By senavis
Jan 18, 2006
  1. hi all...first of all thanks for this excellent forum...

this is my first post in this forum..actually i have spent a lot of times in the web for this problem and couldn't find a perfect solution for this....the problem purely deals with networking...although this may seem to be silly for some but not for me...

i have two systems directly connected to each other using the ethernet cable in my first the networking was very good..lots of games and file networking ip addresses are
    lan configuration:
    comp1: ip: subnet mask: Gateway:
    comp2: ip: subnet mask: Gateway:

everything was fine with the intranet until i got a adsl modem for the internet on one was a 256k broadband connection...i used a usb to connect the 1st system to the adsl modem and used a "Always on" connection...i found that the connection was based on "PPPoE"...and here comes the problem..the adsl modem's default address is "" to access the modem i need to use that to my modem and when i connect the 1st system with modem alone without the lan(lan disabled or unplugged) i can access the internet but if i enable the lan along with the modem on i can't able to access the internet..but it shows that it is connected.. only lan is possible at a time...

the network configuration in the 1st system actually shows two lan connections my intranet and other internet..

my 2nd lan connection(internet) configuration is:
    ip : subnet mask: gateway:

i m sure that there is a conflict between the two lan configurations(ip address and the gateways) so i changed on both the lan connection separately and simultaneously with many different ip's and gateways(10.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x and also may 192.x.x.x)..but couldn't do anything..actually i dont wont to share the internet connection with two systems but need the intranet for the two systems and internet for the first system alone..

so i could finally work either with only one at a there a solution for this conflict..sorry for this big description puke: since i need to make a clear picture of my problem..

thanks...ur support and comments are welcomed
  2. TypeX45

TypeX45 TS Rookie Posts: 144

try this

Well me and my fellow co worker have came up with the idea to just buy another nic or get a switch if you don't mind the internet on both computers. But you don't so go with the nic because the usb doesn't follow the same rules as a nic. Aslo let the modem do its dhcp or modem) nic(internet) and configure the other nic(intranet) with a higher network like and the interer computer and the gateway
    That should solve it.
  3. senavis

senavis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

surely i will try it soon and post the report...

4. senavis

senavis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

hurray this forum rocks...i got my intranet and internet working thanks guys....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.