Confused about what to do with graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell vostro 200 slim tower and am looking to get a graphics card to be able to run dual monitors. I want to use my lcd monitor as one and my lcd tv as my second monitor. I am only going to be using this computer to play poker on so a gaming card is not necessary, just something so that when I hook the pc up to my television I get clear resolution. I also know that I need a low profile card to be able to fit into my tower. I am having a hard time however finding a card that works at or less than 250W on the power supply. That is all my computer is and I know it would be a pain to replace the power supply in a slim tower. For what its worth I am looking to be able to hook up the lcd monitor using VGA and I will be looking to hook up to the tv through a DVI output. If this would not be possible can someone tell me what will happen if anything if I just buy a card that runs at 250W when my max power is that? Is worst comes to worse I would also be willing to just get a card to be able to use my television as the only monitor, but that is a last resort. And if anyone knows how I could upgrade the power supply in a dell slim tower I'd appreciate that too, if no cards will work without upgrading the power supply. I would say I'm willing to spend up to $200, I'd like to stay under cuz I'm a poor college student :)

-Austin

It's a PCIE and/or PCI. And thanks for the sugestions. The PCIE card you suggested requires 400W or greater power supply it says. What will happen if I try to use it on just a 250W power supply computer? Any other suggestions

Neither of those are low-profile and will need a PSU upgrade. I'd recommend this as a better choice. It will work pretty well for all your needs and will not need you to upgrade anything.

Hey Chardukian, the link that rage3k posted is good, however rage, with that card, wouldn't you need a higher PSU to run it?

Rage:
I just looked up the card you sent me and it says it recommends a 300W power supply. Did I look up the wrong card? I googled the card cuz it doesn't have those specs on the card on newegg. Also if someone could tell me what would happen if I were to use the 300W card recommended by Rage on just a 250W PSU?
By the way. I really do appreciate the help everyone.

Also if need be is there any PSU's that I can use to upgrade with such a small tower? Remember its a slim tower, Dell vostro 200

If you're worried about the PSU being inadequate, go for this card instead. It has the same features and will run cooler due to the fan.

If I was to get a PCI card rather than a PCIE card would it be easier to find a card that would run on a 250W PSU or will it not make any difference?

Most PCI cards will have problems running two non-monitor displays. That is the reason you should try to stick to PCI-E cards.

I still recommend the HD 3450 as the best choice. It will not cause any problems and your PSU will be adequate enough to run it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back