Confusing on PSU

faizrajaie

im about to upgrade my mobo, ram, cooler and pc casing but using the same dual core E5300 cpu..
however when choosing the case there is options with or without power supply unit..should i change my old psu with new psu that come with the casing..and how to determine psu for my pc..need help :(

If you are keeping the same processor, there really isn't a reason to change your PSU. I'd only change it if you are going to also upgrade your video card. 95% of the PSUs that come with cases are horrible even if they have lots of watts.

What are your current components? My above answer will probably change if you have a branded pc (Dell, HP, whoever else still makes them).

now im using nvid old graphic card 9500GT..dual core processor E5300,,stock cooler(if not mistaken)
mobo ECS P4M900T..2 samsung ddr2 2G 667Mhz..

im gonna upgrade it to mobo Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3, 2 ddr3 4G, a new cooler..and maybe gonna overclock it later after the upgrading..am i gonna need to change my psu that come with the new casing or stay with the current psu..?and im not sure how many watt is my current psu..

Take the side off your case and look at the PSU. Should have a brand and model. Next most important thing is the amount of amps "A" on the 12+ rail(s). Until we have that information we can't inform you one way or the other on what to do. But as I said, most PSUs that come with cases are crap. Adding 2 gigs of RAM isn't going to require a new PSU, overclocking might, but we need more details. Need details on the PSU in the case(s) you are considering.

30112011083.jpg

i uploaded my psu info at my psu box..but i dont have the info about the psu in the case im considering..i gonna buy it online anyway so they just put option of amount of watts by the psu in the web..
and im adding 4G of memory..

I've corrected it for you.

As a FYI, you need to link the picture itself in-between img tags.

if the link ends in .html its the wrong one, it should end in .jpg. Easiest way to do it as to get the picture up like it is in this link, and then with the mouse over the picture, right click and then select copy URL, or words to that affect. Then paste the copied link in-between img tags and it'll work.

The results of that is this: https://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/500/medium/30112011083.jpg which when placed with those tags makes it appear.

OMG..haha..thanks man..i dont really know about these :)
now im hoping a solution for the mystery in my head about psu. :)

Ok. It looks to me like you are probably better off upgrading your PSU if you are going to overclock. If you aren't, personally, I'd just keep using what you have been. But I wouldn't argue too much with someone telling you to get a better PSU.

Now, the dilemma is the PSU that comes with the case.

I bet Leeky (as well as several others here) can suggest a good PSU that is in the 450-550W range (which is my estimate of what you need - you probably need a fair bit less, even with the OC, but its really not worth (IMO) buying a 'good' <400W when you can get a good 450-550 for the same price or cheaper).

I'll second replacing that PSU. The one you have is a Linkworld which is known for making some real pieces of garbage, chances are it can't even produce its relatively low 350W rating. I would recommend one of the following for new PSUs at a decent price.
Antec EarthWatts EA-500D = $55
ENERMAX NAXN ENP550AWT = $65
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 = $65
Antec NEO ECO 520C = $55 (currently out of stock on Newegg but it is very good [basically a seasonic S12II at a lower price] if you can find it else ware for a decent price or don't mind waiting for it to be restocked)

okay..but what if i use the psu that come with the case..range 400-500 watt..but not overclocking it yet..will it do any damage to my component?
and what do you mean by garbage brand of psu?is it doing damage to component or what?

Why exactly are you upgrading the motherboard, RAM and CPU cooler and keeping the same CPU? If you're buying those components you might as well save up a bit more and get a new Sandybridge processor, e.g Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155

You can see a comparison between a E8400 and i3-2100 from this review, and the difference between your current E5300 and the i3-2120 are going to be even greater.

my current motherboard is an old piece of ECS product..but im quite satisfy with the cpu performance..my cooler is making noise now and im gonna OC my cpu after this..by upgrading my mobo..i can test new ddr3 memory because now im using old ddr2...im thinking of upgrading my mobo to latest socket but due to the expense limit,.i have to hold it up a bit longer..(plus here in russia the price is higher than other places :( )

guys..im thinking of using coolermaster v10/v8/v6r/v6GT..
how this will affect my choice for psu??i mean the watt for the cooler is 200 watt..im confused :(

Honestly, you should either keep your current setup or build a new one. Otherwise you're spending $100 for a minor performance boost whereas $200 will get you a much bigger boost. If you're happy with your CPU performance then just leave it as it is and save the $100 for later.

The only power a cooler uses is to power the fan, which is probably a few watts. I think the 200W is the recommended minimum for the whole system. By the way, be sure to check the dimensions of the cooler to see if it will fit into your case, they are quite big.

i think im gonna upgrade it slowly ..more money is needed to buy medical books now..haha
guys..what psu will you recommend for me now..i think im gonna take the 500-600wtt(is this too high and will damage my mobo n component) and what brand ?
help~

If your going to replace the PSU so you can overclock, I would advise you purchase a 500-600w unit to take into account future upgrades. There really is very little price between these and sub-500w units most of the time.

As for the cooler: The Coolermaster V8 is a big unit, but is very good. However, this Thermaltake Silver Arrow is even better. As is the Noctua NH-D14 which is very similar to the Silver Arrow. All of these coolers will fit all current flagship chipset designs, so will be a worthwhile and suitable long-term investment for future upgrades. Be sure to confirm that they will actually work with your LGA775 Core2 based processor first though.

As for power supply: Yeah, your current one is a little on the light side, and I certainly wouldn't trust it with an overclocked system. A decent quality PSU of 500-600w will make for a good long term investment that will be more than suitable with your next upgraded system.

After much researching (here in the UK) I went with a Antec High current gamer HCG-620 model. For the price range here in the UK it offered fantastic reviews and feedback, and appears very solid. Obviously it will be different for the US as you will have better availability of other models.

A few I'd consider are:

1. Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Modular Power Supply = $134.99
2. SILVERSTONE ST60F-P 600W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply = $109.99 I also use one of these.
3. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX550M 550W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply = $99.99
4. SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply = $89.99
5. ENERMAX NAXN 80+ ENP600AWT 600W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply = $79.99 (only $49.99 after rebate!

I would strongly recommend against the Corsair CX or "Builder" series of PSU's, they just not very good long-term units in my experience. However, the V2 models of the TX and VX are proving very good, and the original VX and AX models are outstanding units -- those that know me on here will know how much of a testament that really sounds given the issues I had with one earlier in the year. :haha:

As for cases with PSUs. Unless its a bundle deal the PSU is likely to be a cheap OEM equivalent, and really not ideal for overclocking. I would stick to getting a decent case without a PSU -- most decent cases don't come with one for this reason.

That Enermax PSU is outstanding value if you can get the mail-in rebate for it.

thanks leeky..one more..what if i go over 600 wtt..im in russia..theres not much store that provide the psu you recommended to me..http://regard.ru/
like the corsair..theres only CX series for the 500-600 watt..try take a look at the web..
use automatic translation to translate the russian language:)

Going by that site:

1. http://regard.ru/catalog/tovar43765.htm -- I have no experience with these, but they seem reasonable looking online.
2. http://regard.ru/catalog/tovar43780.htm
3. http://regard.ru/catalog/tovar43840.htm
4. http://regard.ru/catalog/tovar43933.htm -- this is very good.
5. http://regard.ru/catalog/tovar43689.htm -- as is this.

If these are too expensive let me know the total amount in your currency you'll pay and I'll search with that, as I've got no clue how your prices compare to US or UK currency.

Going over 600w is fine. You could use a 1,500w PSU and your hardware would be safe. Its obviously massive overkill and would be very inefficient, but it would run. So if 600w+ units are in your price range I would consider them.

psu wasnt in my budget before..but since it is important in quality..i put 4000 rubles +/- 500 rubles
..i really dont have any experience in choosing psu..i really need your help..haha.
so if going over 600watts is okay, if theres 700++ wtt in my range..you can put it in list too..n give me some advise on it..thanks man :)

650w is enough to power an overclocked i7 2600K and top of the line GPU. You will be just fine, especially given that using a 750w+ psu would be more inefficient compared with using a 600-650w model.

If you really do want 750w then go for the Corsair TX-750 model. It comes in just under your budget, but it is excessive in my honest opinion. The choice however is yours. :)

thanks man..last thing i need you advise on the cooler..should i go for the monster V10 cooler master or V8 cooler master in considering future upgrade.if the is any pros and cons..please tell me..

There's not really much you can do to future proof a CPU cooler. The V10 and V8 support the same sockets anyway. Read some reviews and see which one fits your needs.

Back