Confusing Problem - PSU ? GPU ? Help

Ragnorth

Hi all, can anyone offer any advice on the following, before I start throwing money at it (which I dont have)...

System Spec:
Win Vista 64
4gb OCZ ram
Enermax 850 psu
Intel Q6600 cpu
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 (x2 sli)
Striker II extreme mobo
Whole system water cooled

Over the past few weeks my pc has being playing beggers, it has been locking up and the screen has been going funny colours, sometimes green and blue little squares sometimes pink and blue.

Other times the system will lock up with a solid pink or red or green screen ?

Happens more when booting up system, usually takes about 5 attempts before i get into windows, but system will crash when playing games, looking at pictures.

I have tried changing the ram - taking the ram out - no effect (although changing the page size made it a little more stable ??)
I have removed gpu to single (from sli) and changed the monitor connection - no change, still locks up.

Can boot into safe mode with no problems and no issues show up and unfortunately i dont have any spare parts to swop or another system to try my parts in...
Have tried to upload screen shots of the problem but it wont let me...

I cant make my mind up what the problem is...can any one help?
Please let me know if you need any more info..

As a first, free, go at this problem, find out if you have the correct video card drivers. You could use the free program at www.drivereasy.com to scan your pc.
See if it agrees with the driver you are using. But note that the free version of that program is slow to download files, (on purpose, so that you upgrade), of course you can go to the usual sites, nvidia or ATI normally, and get the driver from them. If you fitted the graphic card, did it show in the instructions about fitting an extra power connector to the card? Some do need more power than the edge connector can give.

All drivers are upto date with current version numbers. I have uninstalled all gpu drivers, used cleensweep and re-installed. Hasn't had any effect.
The only thing i haven't done is re-install windows...yet.

Both the graphics cards have duel power connections both are fed from the psu.

With the failures (and assuming that both gpu havn't failed !!) i was wondering if the psu was going south...

Back